Kate Givans's Reviews > Lillian's List

Apr 22, 12

Recommended to Kate by: Bradley Salters
Recommended for: Christian believers
Read from April 18 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Lillian Marshall was loved by all and they came from miles around to attend her funeral after cancer took her from those that loved her most. In the wake of her death, her family must try to build a new life – a life without Lillian. But grief makes this task extremely difficult for everyone – some more so than others. Thankfully, they have Lillian’s lists to help them along the way. The most intriguing list is one that contains the names of women that Lillian approves of for her husband; women that she has given him permission to marry.

Overall, Lillian’s List has reminded me of just how frail life can be. In a moment’s notice, it can be over. It also struck a very personal nerve because my mother was diagnosed with cancer. She’s been gone now for more than six years.

There are so many beautiful things about this book: the writing is very flowing, descriptive and delicate. Lillian’s willingness to push her husband into a life without her by suggesting women he can marry is also very beautiful.

On a quick side note, there were some things that I didn’t like about the book that did not affect my rating. They are personal issues and I don’t feel that personal issues should interfere with the book’s overall rating.

I will say, however, that there is something I feel I need to point out about the book – it has a very strong Christian message. The beliefs of Lillian and her family are well aligned with the Christian beliefs and that’s likely to be a sore spot for some readers. If religion bothers you, I’d suggest you skip the book. If, however, you can ignore it or your beliefs fall in line with the Christian beliefs, Lillian’s List is a read I’d recommend.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lillian's List.

04/18/2012
16.0% "So far, really enjoying the connection of Jerry and Lillian. The religious references are a turn off for me, but really, at it's core, still a really moving book that takes a look at a lifetime love that we all hope for."
04/20/2012
31.0% "Kudos to author for addressing the delicate subject of death with grace, compassion and heart. <3"
04/21/2012
56.0% "I am definitely torn on this book..."
show 4 hidden updates…