Ms. Yingling's Reviews > The Classroom

The Classroom by Robin Mellom

Apr 18, 12

Read in April, 2012

Since Tyler worried about everything in elementary school obsessively, it's not a surprise that he is stressing about starting 7th grade. Matters are made worse when his friend Libby reinforces his belief that 8th graders are evil and out to get him, and encourages him to ask a girl to the upcoming fall dance. Told in a documentary style, this gives brief "interviews" with a variety of stock middle school character; the hulking 8th grader, the good looking popular boy, the girl obsessed with lip gloss, and a mysterious girl named Molly whom Trevor finds intriguing. Also present are a janitor who is zealous about his purview, a principal who is arbitrary and dithering, and various boring and quirky teachers.
Strengths: Boys will like this because it is a "notebook novel" with copious illustrations. It is fairly amusing.
Weaknesses: Like Mason Dixon, Trevor is overly paranoid. I fail to understand why people think middle school is so difficult. I polled my own personal children, and they were all happy to be in middle school and didn't have a ton of angst, and have seen absolutely no bullying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Classroom.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joshua (new)

Joshua I'm not saying that your opinion is wrong, but some people have trouble in Middle School and some enjoy it. There are many other middle schoolers who face struggles that are mentioned in not only this book, but others.

message 2: by Ms. (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ms. Yingling I think there should be more books about psychological bullying. I think much more of that goes on, yet it is never addressed in books. So many books have huge kids punching smaller ones in the hallways, with teachers looking on but not caring. I think this is the biggest problem with the portrayal of bullying. It's not that apparent, usually. Plus, I wish Trevor had worked on better coping skills.