Mandi Kaye Ottaway's Reviews > Lexapros and Cons

Lexapros and Cons by Aaron Karo

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: 2012-debut-author-challenge
Read in April, 2012

Reviewed at http://www.mandikayereads.com/archive... (4/25/12)

I admit; I was hesitant to read this. I wasn’t sure it would really be my speed. Then I opened it up and pretty much didn’t move until I was done.

Chuck’s voice pulled me in from the beginning- even if was kind of weird to open up by talking about masturbation. Nothing graphic mind you- it’s just that Chuck keeps a tally of how often he does, thanks to his OCD. Chuck is authentic- he’s not the kind of boy you ordinarily find in a YA novel, all swwon-worthy and broody. He’s a 17 year old boy with OCD. That’s it. He’s not perfect. He’s not the guy who sweeps the girl off her feet and they become embroiled in a passionate yet ill-fated romance. He’s a senior in high school. He’s the real thing.

I don’t suffer from OCD, though I have known people who do. And Karo brilliantly took me inside of the mind of a young man who does- and did so in such a manner that even though this was a fiction novel written by a comedian, I feel as if I understand the disorder in ways I didn’t before.

The best part? This wasn’t a deep and serious novel; it was light-hearted and fun.

This is definitely a novel to put into the hands of reluctant teen readers – especially boys. But even the girls should find it entertaining and informative.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lexapros and Cons.