Rachel's Reviews > The Walking Dead, Compendium 1

The Walking Dead, Compendium 1 by Robert Kirkman

Apr 19, 12

Read in April, 2012

Ok, here we go.
The thing that everyone knows about this comic series is that it is nothing like the TV series. Which does have its pros and cons. Firstly, the creators of the comic and the television show do have creative license to totally shred or share the storyline.
I get that, I do.
Except I am Joanne Q Public and human, so I get the two mixed up constantly. I do not consider myself an artist of any sort, so my artistic conscience sometimes takes a back seat to my emotional state. Guess it doesn't help being a woman. But that's besides the point.
I suppose the social experiment of a zombie apocalypse can be mirrored from comics to TV; I gotta say that the television show evokes a more visceral response, as it is right in front of you in your giant 55" 3D LED HDTV or what have you. Even on not-so-fancy TVs it's gnarly.
But I'm discussing the graphic novel not the TV show! But it's hard not to juxtapose the ones against each other. I digress...
The social experiment that I believe I'm picking up on is the way people cope with not knowing, but yet ultimately knowing, the outcome of a devestating event that cripples people's stability as they have grown accustomed to. It is not known if one will live to see another day, but if one does not, it is easily deduced as to how said one has passed. Chances are, you were eaten by a zombie. And it is shocking each and every time.
It's a story of not knowing the knowable. I guess. We, in the "real world" do not know what it would be like to have the dead walking among us. And not only do the dead walk among the living, they threaten the living. These people are constant reminders of what happens when you're not living, and we do EVERYTHING in our power to avoid it. But yet you can't avoid it. Death is inevitable. Its just right now, we're too ignorant to acknowledge it. Upon reading this compendium I find that if we don't stare back at death with scrutiny, understand the ways in which it affects us, it might just take our ignorance as a flaw in the human design and take over. By all means I do not mean make friends with a zombie, because by then it will be too late. In this world, death is the ultimate enemy; but how do you destroy something that is so natural, so natural in fact that it becomes part of the death process. Sure, the zombie "virus" is spread through contact, but what if it became adapted to human DNA? It wouldn't be a process. If anything, its a quirky way in which the death process operates. Instead of becoming rigid, then puffy with decay, then a skeleton, we simply... get up and walk. Walk for miles and for no reason until a sort of leprosy occurance happens, and your limbs fall off, one by one, until movement is no longer achieveable.
And while the dead walk, the living must run. And while these zombies do walk, and not fast, they are still threatening to human kind. And while slow zombies are a threat, the fast people become quick enemies-- suspicious of anyone new to cross their paths, fingers on the trigger accompany sharp words of threats against their fellow living man.
Now, what kind of crazy social experiment have we gotten ourselves into? Living vs. Dead vs. Living. The question is: is there any way to survive this? And this question is the only important question that anyone within the realm of The Walking Dead series has to share with the real-life readers of this comic.
Because, quite frankly, Zombies scare the living shit outta me. And it's all because of this series.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Walking Dead, Compendium 1.