Brenda Fryland's Reviews > False Memory

False Memory by Dan Krokos

Apr 28, 12

Read from April 18 to 28, 2012

3 stars as an adult reader, but I'd give it 4 stars for teens!

So far, cool storyline but a very easy read, not as descriptive and eloquent as I'd like -- as an adult reader. Interesting premise, Bourne Identity/X-Men for supernatural/super-powered teens... I think Twilight fans could be very interested in this book -- easy to read, action, a little romance. Not vampires and werewolves, but definitely not just regular humans either. Hints toward the next book in the series are intriguing!

The story is action packed -- never dull moment. There are twists and turns with the characters that despite the hints, I didn't catch until it was spelled out for me, and I LOVE that!

The beginning didn't work for me -- a teen who lost her memory, calmly approaching a mall cop that assumes she's joking with him. Where's the terror at suddenly being somewhere and not knowing who you are, where you are from, or what's going on? I needed a sense of urgency right from the start, not this strange, disconnected attempt at getting help. I need to go back and reread this section -- did I miss something that hinted at why she was so calm?

Update: I do believe the author is bent on catching the reluctant older middle school/high school reader. Grab them with the action packed story, keep the wording simple and focused, add in an interesting love quadrangle -- this could capivate the female and male readers because there is something for everyone.

I have to admit that the storyline really drives me to continue reading. So even this older teacher/mom/reading-fanatic is compelled to keep reading. I stayed on the treadmill for an extra 15 minutes just to keep reading this book!

Based on the fantastic cover art and the interesting back cover synopsis, I think many teens will select this book.

I wouldn't recommend this for the younger crowd -- there are sensual scenes that are well done, but perhaps not appropriate for the 12 year old crowd. I say 8th grade and up.

Teens -- check it out! Teachers and parents, the violence is not that gory, no bad language that I remember, the sensuality stays subdued and doesn't go too far. It's an easy read, the storyline is interesting, and the unknown compelling enough to keep you reading until you DO know!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read False Memory.

04/25/2012