Aleeeeeza's Reviews > Blackbirds

Blackbirds by Chuck Wendig

Apr 26, 12

bookshelves: 2012-release, arc-netgalley-galleygrab, readalong, 2012-read, just-not-my-thing-you-know
Read from April 19 to 25, 2012

2.5-2.75 stars

review before/while reading: readalong with jessie!

EXCITEMENT!

review after reading: EXCITEMENT!

but unfortunately, this excitement was of a drastically different sort than the first one. as in, OH MY GOD I'M SO GLAD I HAVE SUCH GREAT SKIMMING POWERS OR I'D HAVE NEVER GOTTEN THROUGH THIS BOOK! kind of excitement.

this book starts off wonderfully well. you have this broken-and-jaded-yet-filled-with-hilariously-witty--and-wry-quips main character and a great premise, and a general premonition of great things to come.

except they never really do.

now here's the thing. from the first effing page the novel's prose manages to set up a very grim, ironic tone. you know there's lots of darkness yet to come, yes, but the problem here is that the darkness just ratcheted up to beyond believable levels and that's where my main problem lies. it's true that there's quite a few quotable quotes and fantastic one-liners in the book but mostly the book's pock-marked with these ridiculous eye-widening-from-the-WTFery sort of descriptions and analogies. i had them highlighted but i deleted the book from my adobe digital editions in a frenzy of formerly mentioned finally-got-through-this-ordeal-excitement and so i lost them. but believe me when i say that the writing made me shake m head enough times to cause major whiplash. (#thisismebeingjustifiablyhyperbolic)

other things i couldn't get were why the MC did some of the things she did. don't wanna give away any spoilers but once you start shaking your head at everything the MC decides to do it's almost always a very good indication that this book is going downhill for you and reeeal fast.

what i do want to give credit to the author for is how well he whips out action scenes--using third-person present tense really helps in this regard. they're so smoothly written you might as well be watching an action scene in a movie (except in your head). also, the tension all through the last 20% or so was great-o, and that climax was pretty awesometastic too. if the middle hadn't been so difficult to trudge through (and the whole book not filled with insane blood-curling descriptions) i would've given this a four star fo' sho' and would've deffo read the sequel.

i think you should still prolly give it a try if you can, though. keep in mind that it's gory as shit and vulgar as hell (don't even get me started on the sex scenes) and if you don't mind that too much, this would be the perfect book for you, i believe.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blackbirds.

04/20/2012 page 70
04/25/2012 page 250
65.0% "I BELIEVE...it is time for me to put my trusty powers of skimming to. seems like it's the only way i'll ever finish this book. :/"
04/25/2012 page 340
89.0% "'Then she reached the causeway crossing the Barnegat Bay and traffic locked up tighter than a handful of tampons crammed up a nun's asshole.' You have GOT to be fucking kidding me." 3 comments
show 1 hidden update…

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) This sounds interesting, right? I hope I get approved for it. .___.

Laura I loved it. It somehow manages to be badass and profound at the same time. I even pre-ordered a hard copy already!

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Oh, that's always a solid recommendation. Now I really want a galley.

Aleeeeeza my fingers are crossed, too!

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) APPROVED!

And I am already reading :D

Aleeeeeza Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "APPROVED!

And I am already reading :D"

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Aleeza wrote: "Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "APPROVED!

And I am already reading :D"

just checked. I GOT APPROVED TOO! *happy dances* ooooh, we could maybe do a readalong, if you like. lemme know!"

Oooh, for sure! I'm only at page 70. I can stop here and let you catch up?

Laura How do you like it so far, Jessie?

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) It's great! Very definitely not YA so it's a nice change. Also Miriam is the kind of abrasive but witty main character I always enjoy.

Aleeeeeza Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "Aleeza wrote: "Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "APPROVED!

And I am already reading :D"

page 70?! are you fast or ARE YOU FAST? imma try and start reading this tonight--as soon as i finish The Year of the Beasts.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Aleeza wrote: "Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "Aleeza wrote: "Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "APPROVED!

And I am already reading :D"

just checked. I GOT APPROVED TOO! *happy dances* ooooh, we cou..."

I do read quite fast when I am motivated and like the story. And that sounds good to me - I'll read
Innocent Darkness til you're ready.

Aly (Fantasy4eva) how are you finding it s far, aleeza? :)

Aleeeeeza Aly (Fantasy4eva) wrote: "how are you finding it s far, aleeza? :)"

purrrty good, yaar. the plot is pretty tight even if the characters, at the moment, are not doing that much for me.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) How are you feeling about it now? I have to admit my enjoyment has slipped a bit from my initial excitement... all the nasty, gorey stuff and unsexy sex have detracted a bit from the good stuff.

Aleeeeeza Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "How are you feeling about it now? I have to admit my enjoyment has slipped a bit from my initial excitement... all the nasty, gorey stuff and unsexy sex have detracted a bit from the good stuff."

arggg, yes. now im not even sure i want to finish it! i've just like, really stopped caring :|

Kelly I'm there too, actually. I think it just kind of fell apart for me with the whole Ashley thing. I have no idea what she sees in him. I mean, I get why (view spoiler), but not why she lusts for him. It feels like the male canard about women dividing men into "nice guys" and "good-looking a-holes" with Louis being the former and Ashley the latter. I can't see what any actual woman would see in him--it's more like he's what some guys think women want. He's a creep.

Tatiana And how about that (view spoiler)? I mean, the author thinks it would actually work?

Kelly Tatiana, your review with "so much dude" made it click for me. It reads like what some men think women think and feel.

I'm also pretty sure she actually touched Ashley before the scene where she does see his future death. She helps him get up, in the bar. I'm sure there's some convoluted way she could do that without touching skin, but it's not specified, and I kept waiting for the vision to occur. No, it got deferred until it could be during a more dramatic (view spoiler) moment.

message 19: by Naomi (new) - added it

Naomi Can't wait to read your review on this! If it is good, I would order it.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Ok, now it is me that is lagging behind! Shall we read to page 200 by Friday? BTW how many pages is your edition?

message 21: by Kwesi 章英狮 (new)

Kwesi 章英狮 I like the cover and is this a netgalley stuff? I've been asking for good titles in the sites but the publishers keep on declining my requests. I think I'm not ready for this kind of arcs yet.

Aleeeeeza Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "Ok, now it is me that is lagging behind! Shall we read to page 200 by Friday? BTW how many pages is your edition?"

duuude, i skim-read the last 100 pages like nobody's business. glad i did because it never got all that much better. i did like the the way the ending turned out though. just didn't redeem the 200 pages before it :/

mines was 264, methinks. what abouts u?

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) I did the same. After a while, I just couldn't anymore. The ending was better than I thought but I agree with your review about 100%. Lots of potential spoiled by the excessive nastiness. I can see why people like it, but wasn't for me.

Aleeeeeza Jessie (Ageless Pages Reviews) wrote: "I did the same. After a while, I just couldn't anymore. The ending was better than I thought but I agree with your review about 100%. Lots of potential spoiled by the excessive nastiness. I can see..."

ezzackly! oh also: are you gonna read the sequel :P

nah, just kidding. this book is a perfect example of a book with a great start that totally self-destructs itself in the middle. *sad face*