Charity's Reviews > The Name of the Rose

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

Apr 16, 09

bookshelves: 1001books, big-uns, book-lusting, italy
Read in April, 2009

"The early history of comedy is obscure," Aristotle wrote in his Poetics, "because it was not taken seriously." Whether or not the Greek sage meant to make a joke, this first novel written by Italy's premier intellectual expands on his theme.

The Name of the Rose is a deep, brilliant, and remarkably engaging detective story set in fourteenth-century Italy. Brother William of Baskerville is a guest at an abbey where monks are being murdered in the most grotesque fashion. Moreover, behind the murders lurks the "true" story of the missing second volume of the Poetics, in which Aristotle delves into the divine nature of comedy. Employing the logic of Aristotle, the theology of Thomas Aquinas, and maybe the deductive reasoning of Sherlock Holmes (which I admit, I may have been leaning towards due to the combination of 'detective' with 'Baskerville'), he begins to uncover the abbey's darkest secrets.

Truly enthralling! A second reading may be enough to push this book up to 5-star status for me.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Rose.

message 1: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle The husband has been trying to read this for MONTHS. We searched ALL over for it and he was so excited and then started and then just pooped out. I hope you have better success. I think I need to re-kindle that fire beneath him to finish it. :-)

Charity I hope so, too, Dawn. It has been recommended to me by no less than a dozen people, all claiming that I might be the last Italian alive to have never read Eco. :-)

message 3: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon I am reading it next - ill let you know x

message 4: by Jon (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jon oooh you need to report on progress to me - i backed out and still is on shelf, im so fickle!

message 5: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle I am so proud of you for finishing this!!! The husband is still struggling through. I think he will finish it soon. :-)

Charity Wow! Thanks! I don't know what I really expected from this book, but it exceeded any and all expectations. I actually believe that with a second read it will be a 5-star book for me, but there were a lot of things I admit I may have missed with this first reading that were probably applicable to the plots, so I gave it a solid 4 stars. When I set aside time to sit down and give it my full attention, I found that it was incredibly engrossing and difficult to put down!

message 7: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle I think that is Erik's problem. He just can't devote enough time to it. Hopefully soon! :-)