Amy's Reviews > Mass Effect: Revelation

Mass Effect by Drew Karpyshyn

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from April 22 to 24, 2012

This is my first novel I have ever read based on a video so it was a different experience. I felt that Karpyshyn did a good job of translating the feel of the video game to the book. In fact, I almost had the sense of somebody watching a movie based on a beloved book. It was a thoroughly enjoyable read.

The reason for just 3 starts is that I felt the novel simply wasn't terribly well written or edited. There were several typos that had me go back a reread the sentence in order to determine what the author meant because he clearly used the wrong words. The plot was also excessively predictable and not because it was based on something else. This was a story that could have been much more complex than it was.

I'm torn on how to evaluate the character development. Considering the source material, I loved that added depth to characters that were only touched on in the games. Considering the medium as a novel, the character development fell short of its potential.

That being said, if enjoyed the Mass Effect games, you will enjoy and appreciate this novel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mass Effect.

04/22/2012 page 26