Nica Borders's Reviews > Daughter of Smoke & Bone

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Apr 18, 2012

liked it

The writing in this book is beautiful, I want to start with that. The characters are well-defined and flawed. I feel like I got to know everyone I needed to know. I really enjoyed the main character, Karou, as well as her best friend. The supernatural elements gave the whole thing a glorious glamor to it all.

That said, I'm worried about the rest of the series. I loved the first half of this book when it was more Karou in the real world struggling against her lack of knowledge, the mysterious Chimera(humanoid, animal mixes) who raised her and wishes being used in a real world context. I felt for Karou and her struggles even when her life was so glamorous and wish-fulfillment-y to be a lot of fun.

Then Akiva showed up. Akiva himself, not a horrible guy, but the love was...well, instant. It's not just that it moved quickly, it's that they loved each other within three sentences, before that even. That love is deep, dramatic, and takes over the entire plot once it started. Akiva doesn't HAVE much of a personality beyond him loving Karou because he'd repress any part of himself that would bother her.

Now I hate instant love, it's a pet peeve of mine. I prefer a slower build up, to really sweep me off my feet. Instant leaves me jarred and cynical. Maybe that won't bother you. And maybe you'll see something different in Akiva. He's still well and beautifully written, like the rest of the book.

My real problem was the ending. (view spoiler)

I will probably buy the other books despite my worry because the writing is gorgeous and that makes the book a fun ride no matter my issues with plot, but I can't say it's the best thing ever either.
1 like · flag