Carly's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Apr 18, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-book-list
Read in April, 2012

I always enjoy reading about introversion, it is a constant revelation to me that introversion is an acceptable and even valuable style of being. But I also feel sad because all of this revelation feels too late for me!

I was brought up to believe that there was something fundamentally wrong with me. All of my school reports said I did so well academically but was too withdrawn and needed to participate more. People always asked, "what is wrong with her? Why is she so quiet?" I was told that nobody like quiet unassertive people and that I needed to change, change, change. And I tried, I tried so hard but was always so afraid because I knew the trying was an act and that there was something deeply wrong with me because I could not socialise in an acceptable way, could not fulfill what popular girls needed to do. No one ever said that I was just "different". Not broken, just different. It would have been really useful to hear back then.

I almost feel frustrated by this author's good self esteem because I cannot over-emphasise how deeply broken I thought I was and how ashamed I felt. How can she be such a well-adjusted introvert? I hope that teachers and parents read this book and begin to value their introverted children and stop pushing them to change who they are. Push them toward challenges, yes, and behavioural alterations if need be, but don't lead them to believe that they are fundamentally flawed, when in fact, they are pretty damn awesome. Quietude has immense value.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

05/26 marked as: read