Richard Burger's Reviews > Getaway

Getaway by Lisa Brackmann

Apr 19, 2012

Read in April, 2012

After rocking us with Rock Paper Tiger, Lisa Brackmann has done it again, this time taking us to Puerta Vallarta, where our heroine Michelle finds herself trapped by forces beyond her control. It's a tourist's worse nightmare, being pulled over by the local police and thrown in jail for no reason. Things only get worse after that, as she is sucked into Mexico's world of drug trafficking and crime, including murder. The scene where she sees for herself what these criminals are capable of was delightfully scary. As with Rock Paper Tiger, the book takes unexpected twists and turns and introduces a host of colorful characters, most of them not very likable. At first Michelle comes across as rather self-absorbed and not entirely lovable, but we soon feel sympathetic to her plight, which actually began before she arrived in Puerta Vallarta.

Sometimes I wanted to yell at Michelle, because she wasn't doing what I would have done in a similar situation. But then, people in desperate situations do desperate things. In her eyes she had little choice (you'll have to read the book to know what I mean). All in all a terrific thriller, especially relevant at a time when the crimes of Mexican drug cartels are so much in the news.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Getaway.