Mel B.'s Reviews > The Song of the Quarkbeast

The Song of the Quarkbeast by Jasper Fforde

Apr 22, 12

Read from April 18 to 19, 2012

I love anything by Jasper Fforde, so I feel a little biased. I recall I didn't like The Last Dragonslayer at first, but then when I gave it a re-read to prepare for reading this book, I liked it a lot better.

Jasper Fforde can be like that -- you don't quite appreciate the sly brilliance at first glance, but you'll always be glad you gave him a chance.

This book is the sequel to the aforementioned The Last Dragonslayer. It picks up the story (with little inconsistencies that Fforde would easily explain as fluctuations within the book world, no doubt) with magic agency manager Jennifer Strange trying to manage her posse of unmanageable to downright mad sorcerers and former sorcerers. She doesn't have magic herself, but that's what it takes to properly manage this group, in the absence of their agency's / rest home's founder, Zambini.

The wizarding agency picks up a bridge contest that will settle a rivalry with and the position of the vaguely evil and all annoying Blix, head of the other agency in the kingdom.

As we learned in the last book, the kingdom's king, Snood, is a corrupt fellow who doesn't stoop at jailing a young girl when he doesn't get his way.

Blix also stoops to that level.

What I love about these books are the honorifics -- the King's Useless brother, for one.

Jennifer and her apprentice, Tiger, face overwhelming odds when one by one, the agency's remaining licensed magicians are removed being able to compete in the bridge-raising contest, for one reason or another.

But magic has a way of sorting everything out to the way it's supposed to be.

And Jennifer may just be reunited with her beloved yet scary Quarkbeast.

Thoroughly enjoyable read. I know part of me had been annoyed that I wasn't getting Thursday Next books with the frequency I was expecting / hoping. And then there's the Nursery Crime books. And the Shades of Grey series, currently still at book one. This probably doesn't stand up to those in terms of quality but ...

The Song of the Quarkbeast (and its predecessor) is fun, nail-biting and full of the winks at bureaucracy, greed and corporations that you get to love as a Fforde fan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of the Quarkbeast.

04/19/2012 page 106