MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Kalki

Kalki by Gore Vidal

Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: merkins, novels
Read from April 17 to 18, 2012

I write this review on a cordless laptop at my girlfriend’s cabin the Highlands, the rain lashing against my cheek (I’m half indoors half out), the wind howling against my thigh (my other thigh is howl-proof). I lie. I write this in a cosy bed on a cordless laptop, the only danger being a rampaging bull butting the double-glazed windows with his horns of evil, then gouging my pretty face with said horns. All this is padding. I apologise. Sometimes I have so little so say about all these wonderful books I read, I despair about my tenure on this site. Anyway. Another Gore Vidal novel. This one is about the re-embodiment of Vishnu in a Southern US drugpusher, who summarily brings about a lotus-based global apocalypse. That’s all I need to say: sells the book pretty well, don’t you think? Vidal’s prose is sumptuously readable, classily satirical and ineffably wry. Read something by Gore Vidal. He deserves new readers. This review is pants. Sorry.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kalki.

Comments (showing 1-7)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 7: by Jeffrey (new) - added it

Jeffrey Keeten Damn I can't even remember the last time I read a Gore Vidal. How could I miss with this one? It might be important for you to know that a bull closes his eyes just before impact.

message 6: by Megha (last edited Apr 18, 2012 08:19PM) (new)

Megha Gore Vidal is there on my authors-to-read list. But I don't know when I will get around to reading something by him.
In the meantime, you can suggest which of his books will be a good place to start.

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl gorging my pretty face with said horns

Do you mean gouging?

Sorry....this comment is merely padding.

message 4: by Mariel (new)

Mariel You are the last person who should despair of their goodreads glow to bask in.

I am curious about Vidal.

message 3: by MJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

MJ Nicholls Myra Breckinridge has been my favourite so far. He also writes stiff novels about the Republic and polemical junk, not my scene daddio.

message 2: by Kernos (new)

Kernos Love Vidal, except for his Am. history stuff—not into the subject. Myra and Julian are favorites. I've not read this; it sits somewhere on my TBR mountain

message 1: by Noran (new) - added it

Noran Miss Pumkin Got a copy because of your review-looking forward to a rainy day with it.