Rudi's Reviews > The Great Divorce

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis

Apr 29, 12

Read from April 18 to 29, 2012 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** "Once you were a child. Once you knew what inquiry was made for. There was a time when you asked questions because you wanted answers, and were glad when you had found them. Become that child again: even now... Thirst was made for water; inquiry for truth." p. 41

'What are we born for?'
'For infinite happiness,' said the Spirit. 'You can step out into it at any moment...'
'But, I tell you, they'll see me.'
'An hour hence and you will not care. A day hence and you will laugh at it. Don't you remember on earth--there were things too hot to touch with your finger but you could drink them all right? Shame is like that. If you will accept it--if you will drink the cup to the bottom--you will find it very nourishing: but try to do anything else with it and it scalds.' p. 61

'...Both good and evil, when they are full grown, become retrospective. Not only this valley but all their earthly past will have been Heaven to those who are saved. Not only the twilight in that town, but all their life on Earth too, will then be seen by the damned to have been Hell. That is what mortals misunderstand. They say of some temporal suffering, "No future bliss can make up for it," not knowing that Heaven, once attained, will work backwards and turn even that agony into a glory. And some of sinful pleasure say "Let me have but this and I'll take the consequences": little dreaming how damnation will spread back and back into their past and contaminate the pleasure of the sin. Both processes begin even before death. The good man's past begins to change so that his forgiven sins and remembered sorrows take on the quality of Heaven: the bad man's past already conforms to his badness and is filled only with dreariness.' - p. 69

'There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, "Thy will be done," and those to whom God says, in the end, "Thy will be done." All that are in Hell, choose it. Without that self-choice there could be no Hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find. To those who knock it is opened.' p. 75

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Divorce.