Jess's Reviews > Lucky

Dec 16, 08

bookshelves: z_08, fiction, juniors
Recommended for: Junior High Girls
Read in December, 2008

Phoebe's got a life good enough that people are always telling her how lucky she is. When things go bad for her mom at work, that lucky life, including an ideal middle school graduation party, gets put in jeopardy. Also-Luke, former boyfriend, starts hanging around.

I went back and forth with this one. It's a story about someone upset about not getting an insanely expensive middle school graduation party and a dress. The practical side of me tells me to tell her to get over it and if that's all this book would have been about, I would have done just that.

But I think it's also about losing the world you've known. That's scary. You can't help it if the world you've known is a rather nice one.
There's a good side PG romance with a former boyfriend and Vail does a nice job of showing us middle school girls. In this job market, she has likely found a wide audience. This is the first book in a planned trilogy; it's a good start.

The bits about the Valkyrie = great.

also - I loved the Little House books, but this has got to be the best response to them I've seen yet:

...she'd been obsessed with the Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, which I couldn't get through at all; it just seemed like long stretches of weather punctuated by Pa making another chair" (153)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lucky.