Ayse's Reviews > Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void

Packing for Mars by Mary Roach

Jan 11, 14

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read from April 18, 2012 to January 11, 2014

I am a big fan of Mary Roach, and I found her take on space exploration to be as delightful as her other works. I really like her conversational style when discussing lots of interesting issues. There were sadly less of the asides that I loved in her other books, but as I was reading electronically, it was a blessing as I spent many frustrating attempts to navigate to footnotes on my Kindle touch. The chapter on food was particularly interesting, and the chapter on hygiene particularly nauseating. My only complaint in a way is the lack of emphasis on the Mars aspect -- it was a great history of human exploration of space and what it entails, but though Mars mentions were peppered throughout the book, there was no real discussion of Mars planning. As this book was published in 2010, it is slightly before the resurgence in Mars planning, so it is understandable, but still disappointing. All in all, not as amazing as Boink, but a great read nonetheless. If you have any interest in spaceflight, totally worth your time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Packing for Mars.

01/11/2014 marked as: read