Alpha's Reviews > Coyote Blue

Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore

May 01, 12

Read from April 18 to 29, 2012

Coyote Blue is the second novel I ever read written by Christopher Moore and it seems I'll be reading his complete line of novels eventually if I keep up with the others. I ended up giving in to this author passing his row of novels at Barnes & Noble. The first thing I thought of just observing the cover was how relative it could be to another author who is established in my personal favorite authors, Tim Dorsey. Just look at the titles of their books (EX for Christopher Moore: "Practical Demonkeeping", "The Island of the Sequined Love Nun", "The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove" to EX for Tim Dorsey: "Florida Roadkill", "Electric Barracuda", "Nuclear Jellyfish", etc.). The titles alone should be enough to get my attention.

Anyways, this novel was a very entertaining read with a lot of Indian culture themes incorporated. The people were well-written though not really built up that well but they were good enough to get by. The settings and situations were top-notch, and all in all, the book was very comedic and entertaining to read. Where this novel fails is the direction of the plot or it is kind of hard to truly see a plot with this novel. There are a lot of good points and stories written within but they seem to not really progress the plot whatsoever. Instead, this novel seems to come off as a collection of stories back to back that so happen to move the plot. Not necessarily a bad thing but may not exactly be running the gamut of entertainment when reading specifics are constantly switched from one criterion to another.

However, I am glad I read this book because a lot of other readers who are more seasoned fans of Christopher Moore have told me he gets a lot better with his future novels as in his novels published past this one. The randomness won't be so common and the story actually drives itself with later publications. Still, a great read for comedic value, but the plot - though a very strong concept beyond anything simplistic - seems to be very lacking in its delivery.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Coyote Blue.

04/18/2012 page 100
34.0% "I should finish other books but I am so enamored by this one right now."
04/19/2012 page 111
38.0% "Very entertaining still. Will love to read the rest of Christopher Moore's other books...in between writing."