Jessica's Reviews > The Vanishing Game

The Vanishing Game by Kate Kae Myers

Apr 18, 2012

it was ok
Read from April 18 to 27, 2012

I don't know where to start with this book. Normally I would start with a strength, so I guess I'll go from there and see where this review takes me.

The Vanishing Game has an interesting premise. It does. I really like that Myers uses some interesting logic and brain teasers to help readers decipher the meaning of Jason December's letters alongside Jocelyn and Noah.

For me, the strengths stop there. The storyline was woefully predictable, and *spoiler alert* books that dismiss everything that previously happened in the narrative at the end as a symptom or result of a mental lapse or psychological disorder makes me angry that I read the story in the first place. What is the point of giving the reader a journey if you are going to render the journey moot by saying that the character was just crazy? It is irritating.

In addition, what is up with adding in a paranormal element randomly into the narrative? This story would have been fine without mentioning telekinesis, and just left the occurances as random happenings. Jocelyn was crazy, after all, and she is not a very reliable narrator. Therefore, these things did not have to be explained by random telekinesis, it would have been fine to leave them as a part of her mentally ill imagination.

This story's writing was subpar and the momentum wasn't quite right. Also, the love story seemed forced and was terribly unrealistic to me.

Overall, I'm giving The Vanishing Game 2 Stars. Not something I recommend picking up, but if you do read it--I hope you like it more than I did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vanishing Game.

04/18/2012 page 113
32.0% "Not sure if I'll finish this one. The answer is already clear to me."
04/18/2012 page 113
32.0% "Don't know if I'm going to finish this."
04/19/2012 page 300
85.0% "This book is killing me. Ugh."