Brooke's Reviews > Bud, Not Buddy

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis

7521957
Apr 18, 2012

bookshelves: eced-221

This book intrigued me as a child, when my fourth grade teacher read it to us outside on the playground, and it continues to intrigue me today.

This historical fiction novel is well written in that it could have actually happened. These fictional characters are trapped in a historic time period. The Great Depression was a time of desperation, and Christopher Paul Curtis captured that element. He brings the setting to life by involving such real problems of the depression, such as,racism, homelessness,and poverty.

The characters act in a way which adds to the realistic feel of this novel. All buddy takes with him when he leaves his foster home is a suit case, a card board container which holds a few rocks with dates painted on them, and a photo of his Mama, who had passed. He just wants to find where he belongs, a common theme many people try to accomplish. The characters are complex and wonderful. The three dimensional characters give the story a humane chill.

I still love this book! I have been a fan of history my entire life; however, this novel gives the Great Depression a personal touch. I would incorporate this novel into the classroom when teaching my students about the Great Depression. I hope they get the same enjoyment out of reading it as I did when I was their age, and again now, as an adult!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bud, Not Buddy.