Nereyda Gonzalez's Reviews > What a Boy Wants

What a Boy Wants by Nyrae Dawn

May 03, 12

bookshelves: all-time-favorites, author-interview, i-love-indies, fave-author, new-adult
Read from April 28 to 29, 2012

***Caution: The following review may contain some serious fan girl swooning***

OMG! You guys, I freaking LOVED this book! Every time I read a book that has a female/male alternating POV's I think to myself, "why don't more authors write books told completely in the male POV?" I kept hearing about this book on Goodreads and it immediately caught my attention (let's face it, it was mostly because of the hot guy on the cover). When I read the synopsis and found out it was told in a male POV, I knew I had to have it right away! At the time (last week) it was only available as an e-book. Although I had many books waiting to be read, it somehow made it to the very top of my TBR pile. Once I started reading the first page, I knew this book was going to be something special and I was immediately hooked.

What a Boy Wants tells the story of Sebastian, who is a self-proclaimed hook-up expert. After years of witnessing her mom in numerous failed relationships, Sebastian is convinced that true love isn't real. But Sebastian does think he knows everything there is to know about women. Tired of riding in his friends beatermobile, Sebastian decides to start a blog, The Hook-Up Doctor, and charge for dating advice in order to raise money to buy his own car. We get to read some of his exchanges between him and some of his clients and the exchanges between them are funny.

Although Sebastian may seem like a jerk at times (he even admits it), he is really a sweet guy who is fiercely protective of his mom and loyal to his friends: Aspen, Jaden and Pris. I LOVED the friendship between the guys and Aspen and Pris! It's so cute how these guys who seem to care only about girls are so protective over their "girls", and reading about their PPP (pre-party plan) was so funny. But Sebastian starts feeling confused over his relationship with his best friend Aspen. He starts to notice her in ways he never imagined before, the only problem? The Hook-Up Doctor does NOT fall in love. Right?

The friendship between Sebastian and Aspen was so awesome and the transition to maybe-relationship is super hot and intense! But when it comes to Aspen, Sebastian slowly starts to realize that maybe he doesn't know anything about women. Sebastian was such a realistic, believable and lovable character that it was impossible not to love him. Aspen was the perfect best friend/girl next door. Pris was funny, loyal and fierce and Jaden was such a mystery to me that I want to read more about him.

Even though this book was a bit short, it didn't at all feel rushed or incomplete. When finishing the story I was left with a big smile on my face and I felt completely satisfied by the story. If you want a new book to fall in love with, add What a Boy Wants to your immediate TBR list! I am in LOVE with this book, definitely in my all-time top favorites! Oh, and once you read the book you will realize how perfect the guy on the cover fits Sebastian. What are you waiting for? Go get this book now!

5 out of 5 very sparkly stars!

Some of my favorite non-spoiler quotes from What a Boy Wants:
-Aspen has begged me a million times to hike the side of the mountain that was her house, instead of using the front door. I think her parents embarrassed her, and I could see why, but it always felt too Dawson’s Creek for me. The fact that I knew a show that had been off the air for years, well enough to know climbing through her window was too Dawson/Pacey-like, made the whole window thing an even bigger hell no. I blamed it on that Katie chick marrying Tom Cruise.

-I glanced up, trying not to take in the sight too long, knowing if I acted disinterested, it would make them all the more interested in me. I know that makes me sound like a jerk, and maybe in some ways I was, but girls play games, too. Guys are just more likely to admit to it. It wasn’t as if I was playing any games with them that they wouldn’t play with me. I know girls.

-See? That was a nice butt. What had Jaden been talking about earlier when he commented on Aspen’s? She didn’t have near the curves as Alex did. Woodstock’s was smaller…tighter… Whoa? Had I been checking out Aspen’s ass, too? I mean, I noticed the sliver of skin. When had I started noticing the rest of her?

-“No, I’m a guy and she’s a hot chick. Any guy would have done the same thing for you.” As soon as the words left my mouth Aspen’s head whirled around to look at me, and I realized what I just said. Did I just call Aspen, my friend since I was like—I don’t know, an embryo or something, a hot chick? Wow… “I didn’t mean that how it sounded.” When her face got all squished up, I realized I’d just screwed up again. “Not that I don’t think you’re hot, I just don’t think you’re hot. You know, you’re like friend hot, not let’s make-out hot.”
“What?” Her voice was tight and I realized I kept digging myself deeper and deeper, but I couldn’t seem to stop.

-After giving me all their names, she pointed at me. “This is my friend, Sebastian.”
“Best friend,” I blurted out and then wanted to punch myself in the face for sounding so dumb. At this rate, I’d be painting nails with her any day now. Thank God, Jaden wasn’t here.

-Heading to my closet, I pulled out my guitar and leaned back on my bed again. My fingers moved across the strings with so much ease. It was almost like touching a girl; I knew just what to do, where to touch, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

-Five minutes later, a sauce-free Sebastian came out of the bathroom. I had on black, baggy basketball shorts that went down past my knees and no shirt. “Um, are you going to put on any clothes?” Aspen had her shoes off as she leaned against my headboard. A little chill must have come in from my window because shivers suddenly rolled down my spine. “Why?” Her cheeks went pink again. Oh. Ooh! “You think I’m hot, too!” I practically shouted. When her eyes bugged out, I realized I’d added the too on there.

-She tried to twist, but I held on to her. “Let me go.” “Not until you admit I kick ass.” Actually, I just wanted to hold onto her a little longer. She was so soft beneath me. Smooth, female skin that drove me wild. She bucked, her breathing coming out heavy and that’s when I realized what a huge mistake this was. This was Aspen and I was totally loving the feel of her. Totally savoring it. She smelled like cinnamon and it was so much better than the floral stuff girls usually wore that it kind of hit me like a sock to the gut. It was suddenly all I could focus on. Her scent and feel. What the hell?! I jumped off her before she could realize I was enjoying it a little too much. This felt way different than BFF stuff.

-This time, my vision jerked toward her. “What? I’m not into her. She’s my B--” I groaned. Why did I keep saying BFF? I swear, it was like Paris Hilton took me over. “She’s my friend. I watch out for her. That’s all.”

-For the first time since I got inside, I really looked at her. She’d taken a shower, too, because her hair was wet, tied in some kind of bun thing on top of her head. Her contacts were out and a pair of wire-rimmed glasses sat on her nose. She wore a pair of black pajama pants with a purple tank-top. And, holy shit, did I want to touch her. I wanted to trace the strap of her shirt over her shoulder and down her back. Her skin looked so smooth, so creamy that I almost needed to touch it just to make sure it was real. I wanted my tongue in that little hollow spot at the base of her throat and, for the first time, I wondered what she tasted like. What it would be like to kiss Woodstock. Woodstock!

-There was the second of hesitancy when we first touched that her soft lips tensed—probably in shock—but then they relaxed, and molded against mine. That cinnamon scent of hers floated around me, but I tasted it too, all spicy and Aspen, going straight to my head. How could I not have kissed her before? It was like my first time. Actually, I’m pretty sure it was because kissing other girls didn’t feel like this. When she pulled her arms up and wrapped them around my neck and I felt her body press against mine, everything inside me started to pop and explode. I teased her lips with my tongue, and she opened up to let me inside. It felt like static electricity—the little zap as her tongue tangled with mine. When she weaved her fingers through the back of my hair, I moaned. I hated it when girls put their hands in my hair, but this wasn’t just a girl. It was Aspen.

***
Check out my blog for an interview with Nyrae Dawn and to read more of my reviews:
Nereyda @Mostly YA Book Obsessed

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What a Boy Wants.

04/29/2012
100.0% "So freaking good, I don't want it to be over!"

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Andrea I loved this book! Can't wait to read book two.

Nereyda Gonzalez There is going to be a book 2!? Ah, is it about Jayden? I want to hear their story. I LOVED this book too!!!

Andrea It is Jaden's book, What a Boy Needs. I have a feeling his story is going to be a but heartbreaking. Can't wait!

Nereyda Gonzalez Yay! So excited! He was a bit of a mystery. I actually read this book mostly because of your review so thanks!

Andrea Oh, that's awesome! I'm so happy you loved it!