Claire's Reviews > Wild Horses

Wild Horses by Dick Francis

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: dick-francis, mysteries-and-thrillers

Wild Horses is one of my favourite Dick Francis novels. I had not read it in a long time, and was a bit afraid that I wouldn't enjoy it as much now as I did as a teen, but I was pleasantly surprised.

This novel deals with the world of horse racing (as all or nearly all Dick Francis's novels do) but also with film-making. The narrator, Thomas Lyon, is an ex-amateur jockey turned movie director; he is shooting a picture based on a novel which itself was inspired by a 26-year-old scandal: the wife of a horse trainer was found hanged in his stables, and no-one ever managed to find out what exactly happened (suicide? murder?).

The plot progresses slowly at first, but soon Thomas has several problems to deal with at once: an old friend of his is dying, shooting a movie, which is never easy, is complicated by the screenwriter's hostility, then another one of his friends is brutally attacked and someone is trying very hard to shut down the film's production. There's a particularly exciting racing scene, scary knives, a cool bromance, and lots of descriptions of filming the movie (I have no idea how accurate they are - it seemed to me, at times, that they felt a bit too much like Dick Francis had a list of facts about filming that he wanted to include in the book, but that didn't bother me).

My only regret is that I'll never get to see the film that they spend most of the book filming :-)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild Horses.