Jackie "the Librarian"'s Reviews > Feed

Feed by M.T. Anderson

Aug 28, 08

bookshelves: awardwinners, sciencefiction, teen-books-adults-can-enjoy, youngadult
Recommended for: fans of dark dystopian romances
Read in January, 2003

It's the future, the internet is beamed directly into your head, people live in domes because the air and water outside is so polluted, people are getting lesions on their skin and their hair is falling out, and all anyone thinks about is amusing their jaded selves and buying stuff. But don't bother visiting the moon, 'cause it's totally lame.

The one exception is Violet, but she was homeschooled, so she's pretty weird. But Titus kind of likes her anyway. Too bad her feed got so fried.

Anderson captures the banality of teenage life, and the contrast between that and the horrors of their world, and the implacable disintegration of the one character who seemed to really be a thoughtful aware person, was just devastating. I can see this world just over the horizon, and it scares me.

This book is especially good in the audio version, where you can experience that internet feed for yourself.

National Book Award finalist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feed.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Jackie! You make me giggle.

Jackie "the Librarian" Oh, good, Manders, because that was what I was aiming for. ;)