Robert's Reviews > Lies Beneath

Lies Beneath by Anne Greenwood Brown

5992086
Jun 10, 12

Read from June 02 to 10, 2012

I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley. I want to thank the publisher and author for allowing me to preview this book before it's release date on June 12, 2012.

I had never read a book based on mermaids before this one. I did not know what to expect with this book and it was NOT what I thought it was going to be. When we think of mermaids many of us think of the half human half fish creatures of the sea that are so mysterious and drag sea captains to their death. We do not think about mermen either. That is what this story centered on.

The main character Calder is a merman who along with his sisters Pavati, Tallulah, and Maris live in Lake Superior in Michigan. They all have the ability to live in the water and also transform into humans when they get onto land. This is new to many myths of mermaids that we may have read in the past. This tale is also a LOT darker than I figured it would be. I had read the information before requesting it and it intrigued me.

The plot centers around Calder and his sisters wanting revenge for the death of their mother many years ago at the hand of one man. They want to get even with the family but something happens with a girl named Lily that starts to spiral their plan out of control.

I found the storyline to be not only dark but very much YA. It is classified on NetGalley as Juvenille fiction but I did not find it that way at all. I would not recommend this book to anyone under the age of 14 due to some of the themes in the book such as revenge and murder. The story moved at a great pace and I found myself engaged in the story. I also found myself hating Lullah and even Pavati at times while Calder sort of frustrated me. I think Ms Brown could have given a bit more depth (no pun intended) to the sisters and not just concentrated on the revenge but what drove them besides the death of their mother. I got the sense that Calder's sisters were a bit one sided and sometimes so was Calder.

Lily was a character that I liked but also found irritating. She was too nosy and it ultimately created the climax of the story. I did like the way the author wrote the climax and how it was action packed but on the whole the story itself lacked action. I was expecting more from this book and somehow it was a bit lacking. The characters could have been expanded on a bit and the action could have been better. I do recommend this book as it was good but I am only able to give it 3/5 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lies Beneath.

06/09/2012