Kimberly's Reviews > Dissolve

Apr 27, 12

bookshelves: blog-tour-reads, 2012-bookshelf
Read from April 22 to 27, 2012

3.5 Stars

First I'd like to thank both the author Andrea Heltsley and the Innovative Online tours for providing me with the opportunity to read, review and help spread the word of this book.

The first thing that grabbed me about the book was the summary, at the time my computer was loading really slowly so I didn't have the opportunity to see the cover for awhile. The summary had me intrigued so I immediately signed up for the tour. Afterwards when my computer decided to cooperate with me I was stunned by the cover it's bewitching, beguiling and stunning but of course it would have to be since it's designed by Phatpuppy Creations. As you can see the cover is really striking and fits remarkably well with the book in my opinion.

I don't know about the rest of you but for me, when I'm reading a new to me author I tend to read it slower in order to adjust to a new writing style but before I knew it I was 10% through the book and I was really enjoying it.

The book itself started well and I really liked Cora, and Nessa because they seem like really sweet characters, and most of all they aren't snobby which is something I hate in books. As the novel went on though I was still glad to see that the author had their attitudes change as the characters themselves grew. Though Cora did come off as being a little to goodie goodie and naive for me she was still a good character. Though all the characters could have been aided by a little more character development.

I thought that the whole idea of the book was really neat, different and a must needed departure for me. Forgive me if my review seems a bit more vague than I usually write them it's because the book is written in such a way that I don't want to give off any spoilers to future readers. The way the book is written was in my opinion quite good because while you're left going "What the heck just happened?" in some places it all works out in the end. You just have to read it to watch it come to pass.

However, though I did indeed enjoy the book there were a couple of area's that the author could work on in the future. At times like I said in the previous paragraph I was left puzzled and lost with the direction in which the story was going. There would be like in any other book times where the book would stop and good and it was as if the author had written some stuff in just as filler I could have done with more detail in the main parts of the book and less detail in the filler parts. This isn't an issue but I think at times there was a wee bit too much filler. She could also do with working on her conjugating as well. She would conjugate words like isn't, didn't, won't etc. but rarely if ever conjugated words like we're, they're, you're etc. and that made it a little harder for me to keep focus because I'm so used to authors conjugating maybe it's just a preference of mine.

All in all the book was pretty good, one that I'm glad I read because I enjoy trying new authors because you never know who may be the next big thing in the writing world. I'd recommend this to those who like a mixture of science fiction and fantasy. I would advise that if you find the book a little slower that the pace does pick up after awhile so I suggest sticking with it.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dissolve.

04/22/2012
04/23/2012
8.0% "....slowly making a dent in it."
04/26/2012
19.0% "Boring...boring...boring and disjointed"
04/26/2012
19.0% "Boring...boring...boring and disjointed"
04/26/2012
23.0% "I wish the author would conjugate more, her writing stiff and is making it difficult to keep focus, on the positive side the book is starting speed up...but I'm still really confused. WHO IS THE CREEPY MAN!?!"
04/27/2012
53.0% "It's all coming together now bit by bit!"
show 1 hidden update…