Fable's Reviews > True Believers

True Believers by Kurt Andersen

Jun 09, 12

Read from April 18 to May 15, 2012

I am a great fan of Kurt Anderson's radio program Studio 360. I think it is regularly wondrous. So I was really happy to be one of the people who received a free early copy.

The characters are likable and the story is engaging. At times I even skipped forward several pages to find out what happens because I couldn't handle the suspense. I haven't done that in years. Anderson makes a grand effort to make the book timely, including a lot of references to pop culture and the latest technology. But I was actually more convinced by the parts of the book that detail events in the 60s. I think there are a lot of readers whose parents were teenagers, like the characters in the book, during the Vietnam War, and who will find that aspect of the book to be a great read. I did.

There are a few reasons I couldn't give the book a higher rating, though. Some portions of chapters bored me enough to skip over - mostly meandering thought trains by the main character that didn't add any substance. And ultimately, despite some moments of suspense I mentioned before, I didn't feel especially moved by the story. It felt a little tamped down, or muffled. Perhaps the fact that the book reads like a memoir adds to the feeling of distance I experienced.

So, three stars. Glad I read it, but I don't think it propagated any new brain cells.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read True Believers.