Ryan Hibbett's Reviews > Hell

Hell by Robert Olen Butler

Apr 18, 2012

it was ok

I'm only giving it 2 stars for the idea and themes. Really, it deserves 1 for being written so poorly. This guy won a Pulitzer Prize? I'm surprised he has even made as a writer. Let me give you a tip, Mr. Butler: never write in the passive voice! "He is thinking" should never be written. Every other page had something written in the passive voice and it drove me nuts. It was hard to concentrate. I also get what he's trying to do with the thought process being run-on sentences, but when it goes on for 2 pages it's almost impossible to read. He couldn't choose between calling him Bogey or Bogart. After a while it became repetitious and annoying to hear of all the people in Hell. I get it, everyone put themselves in Hell. Most people happen to be there because they are self-loathing or feel like they don't belong in Heaven. I thought it was interesting to have Satan not able to hear his thoughts, but once that was established it was never used well. Too bad, this idea could have been great in capable hands.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hell.

05/10/2016 marked as: read