Karla's Reviews > Gnome on the Range

Gnome on the Range by Jennifer Zane

Feb 16, 14

bookshelves: favorites, lots-o-crazy, say-what, scrumptious-hero, sizzling-romance, spunky-heroine, terrific-dialogue, wonderful-secondary-characters, delightful-kids, laugh-out-loud-funny, sex-toys, adult-comedy
Recommended for: Anyone who enjoys a good laugh!
Read from April 18 to 19, 2012

ZING!! 4.5 Stars! You did good Jennifer Zane, fantastic debut book! Funny, funny, funny!!!

Do not read this out in public because you will have random outbursts of laughter and lots of splainin’ about why you are laughing so hard. Since this book is about a woman who works in an adult store and the paraphernalia that’s sold there is the basis for most of the comedic moments, well it could be embarrassing, but makes for some of the funniest stuff I’ve ever read.

The story is over the top crazy, but that’s what makes it so much fun. The characters were delightful, from the lonely widowed Jane, to hottie fireman, Ty. From the minute they meet, the heat just rolls off the two of them.

“And there he was. Mr. Fireman. And me. And dildo display made three.”

Her in-laws, Goldie, owner of Godilocks and Paul, the local obstetrician, brought an extra layer of fun to the book.

"It was no small stretch that as a couple, my in-laws knew more about a woman’s hoo-hah than anyone else in town. She was the expert on fun, he the consequences.”

But Jane’s boys, Zach and Bobby, really rounded out the characters oh so nicely, and added a familiar and relaxed element to the story.

“'Camping will put hair on their chests,” he said.
Zach and Bobby didn’t look particularly excited about that concept.
“You get to pee outside,” he added, and the boys jumped up and down for joy.
I gave the boys quick hugs and kisses before they dashed over to the nearest pine tree to pull down their pants and water it."

Filled with zany antics and a wild not-so-believable suspense element, what I loved about it most was the writing was comfortable. What I mean by that is the author’s description of everyday small-town life actually stirred some of my own youthful memories. It was quite lovely and made me feel like I was a part of the story. Jennifer Zane also writes on heckuva sex scene…

"His mouth moved lower still and his tongue went for a ride up one side of me and down the other. HOLY CRAP! I hadn’t felt a Super Zing like that in…I couldn’t remember ever feeling a zing like that. My head fell back and I saw the red spaghetti sauce stain on the ceiling Zach made when he was two. I would never look at that mark in the same way again."

Steamy, sexy, and fun!! My only complaint…I wish there had been more!!
For her first effort Jennifer Zane wrote a stand-out book and I can’t wait to see what she has in store for us next. I'm still smiling...oh and having bouts of uncontrolled laughter!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gnome on the Range.

04/18/2012
16.0% "BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Off to work and now I have images in my head that will have me breaking out in bouts of laughter...oh well, my co-workers know me well, and they will just laugh along with me. This book is hysterical...and just what I needed!" 6 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

KindleRomance Reviews I can't wait to hear about this one!

message 2: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Me too! Did you find this at Sluttygnomes/ebooks.com, Miss Karla? LOL!

Karla @Kris
I finished and will write a quick review

@Kelly
LOL...no I borrowed it as one of my free reads on Amazon. Very enjoyable.

Kellie G. Super zing! This sounds like a great book!

message 5: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Wow, Karla, you really LIKED this book!! I may have to check this one out! Great review, btw!! :)

Karla Kellie wrote: "Super zing! This sounds like a great book!"

Super Zing is right...loads of fun!

Karla Leslie wrote: "Wow, Karla, you really LIKED this book!! I may have to check this one out! Great review, btw!! :)"

Thanks Leslie, yes it was just what I needed!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) Fantastic review, Karla. This book look fun!

KindleRomance Reviews Love the review! Can't wait to read the book!

Karla Kristen wrote: "Fantastic review, Karla. This book look fun!"

Thanks Kristen...it was fun!!

Karla Kris (KindleRomance) wrote: "Love the review! Can't wait to read the book!"

Thanks you Kris...this one really had me chuckling!

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill This looks great, Karla. Fantastic review!

message 13: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Wonderful review Karla! I like funny so this is a must for me:)

Karla KatLynne wrote: "Wonderful review Karla! I like funny so this is a must for me:)"

Thanks KatLynne. You and I have the same taste in humor, I know because you liked the RC books. Read it when you have some time or when you need a pick me up!

Karla Jill wrote: "This looks great, Karla. Fantastic review!"

Thank you Jill. This author has some major potential.

message 16: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly This is free on Amazon for everyone now, Karla.I remembered how funny you said it was so I grabbed it! :)

Karla Kelly wrote: "This is free on Amazon for everyone now, Karla.I remembered how funny you said it was so I grabbed it! :)"

Enjoy Kelly! It's zany, quirky, over-the-top crazy,sexy and loads of fun! Best part, it's free!

message 18: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly Karla wrote: "Kelly wrote: "This is free on Amazon for everyone now, Karla.I remembered how funny you said it was so I grabbed it! :)"

Enjoy Kelly! It's zany, quirky, over-the-top crazy,sexy and loads of fun! B..."

Yes, free is the best part, Karla, but especially when the book is good!