Denise's Reviews > The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night

The No-Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley

Aug 28, 2008

I read this book in conjunction with Ferber's Solving Your Child's Sleep Problems, just to get a range of perspective. I definitely liked the approach in this book better than Ferber's: it's based in attachment parenting principles, focuses first on whether the parent themselves sees a problem or just feels pressured to have a child that "sleeps through the night", and emphasizes that the process of getting a frequently waking child to sleep in longer chunks can be a long one that requires patience. The research about why babies wake up so goddamned much is basically the same as Ferber's, which is reassuring- basically all humans wake up during the night and the trick is how to make the waking moments short and calming. My only issues with this book were that the author is crazy in love with Dr. Sears (who, if you read the Attachment Parenting book he wrote, is kind of gaggingly sexist) and seems like kind of a fruitcake. I wanted a little more frank and informed writing and a little less folksy patronizing, because I am a grown woman who can handle information being dispensed without digression to topics like "sleepy baby bottoms" and the excessive use of "mommy" as a modifier. Despite all that ridiculousness, however, this is a book I plan on buying and actually referring back to as my kid grows, which is the most important thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The No-Cry Sleep Solution.

message 1: by Dimity (new) - added it

Dimity Finally, someone else out there in internetland who recognizes how sexist Dr. Sears is!