Laura's Reviews > Swapping Lives

Swapping Lives by Jane Green

Sep 14, 2008

it was ok
Read in September, 2008

** spoiler alert ** Certainly not the easy piece of fluff I was expecting, but it wasn't deep either. The actual "swap" (the supposed plot of the book) takes place very far in, and only for an extremely short amount of time/pages. We barely even see the swap, it's glossed over with saying each person was good at the other life, but missed their own. Show, don't tell!
For most of the book, Ms. Green employs odd time jumps, the character Vicky might be sitting at the breakfast table, then it jumps back to the night before, then an hour before, then back to the table, with no cues to help piece together the timing. I kept getting confused and had to turn back a page or two.

She also interrupts the story VERY often to give us insight and motivation into every character. We hear eight hundred times that the husband and wife will remain faithful and then get a rant about men and women being friends. We get a discussion of why a male friend with benefits doesn't want to settle down. We hear a convoluted back story about a girlfriend who wants to poke holes into condoms in order to get pregnant. It very much felt like Ms Green was trying to round out the characters, but it didn't work, it just threw me out of the story to have the omniscient third person give me long winded explanations.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swapping Lives.