Mark's Reviews > Dakota

Dakota by Martha Grimes

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: fiction, mystery-crime, own-it
Read from April 18 to 23, 2012

This is a sequel to Biting the Moon, which I think I may have read some years ago. It really doesn't matter, as this story has enough background that it can stand on its own without knowing all that happened in the previous book. Andi Oliver, a name she chose for herself because of the initials on her backpack, is a young woman with no past, literally. Her memory of anything prior to two years ago when she woke up in a motel room in Sante Fe has been obliterated. She has been wandering about the Great Plains, on foot, since making a dramatic escape and finds herself settling down in a small town in North Dakota. Andi causes trouble for some rough characters from the moment she hits town, but her sheer determination and uncompromising moral character allow her to make fast friends and lead her to become a crusader for animal rights in a business where the almighty dollar blinds some to the utter cruelty of the work. The scenario is horrifying for its graphic description of the factory farm and slaughterhouse practices and the more so because it rings so true. There are some great characters here. A few developments that seem a little contrived, but not enough to render the book any great harm. I was captivated by this and found it hard to put the book down. It has renewed my interest in Ms Grimes, an author I had concluded I didn't like because of one other book that disappointed. I've got some catching up to do!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dakota.