Ginny's Reviews > Grave Mercy

Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: 2012, 2012-da-challenge, 2012-debut-author, e-book, nook, whodunit, historical-fiction
Read from April 18 to 20, 2012

Part kick-ass heroine, part love story, part mystery, and part political intrigue set the path for one hell of a story!

"I bear a deep red stain that runs from my left shoulder down to my right hip, a trail left by the herbwitch's poison that my mother used to try to expel me from her womb. That I survived, according to the herbwitch, is no miracle but a sign I have been sired by the god of death himself."

Ismae is our kick-ass heroine. After years of neglect and abuse she is sent to a convent to train as Death's Handmaiden. In other words, she is trained to be an assassin. And Ismae is good at her calling. So she is sent to the palace to uncover the traitor to the young duchess. Will the traitor succeed in their plot to end the life of the duchess, or will Ismae keep her safe? For that matter, will Ismae keep her heart safe and secure?

Full of rich language, tense moments, and beautiful death scenes. The characters were well developed. You liked those you were supposed to like, disliked certain ones, were leery of others, and unsure about others. One of my stand out favorite characters was Vanth. :)

More can be found over at my blog Random Acts of Books & More

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Mercy.

04/18/2012 "Finally was able to get it working, and wow, I am loving this one already. Death's Handmaidens. LOVE!"