Heather's Reviews > No Ordinary Time: Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt - The Home Front in World War II

No Ordinary Time by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Apr 18, 12

I own a copy, read count: 1

This is a great book and it's no surprise why it won the Pulitzer Prize. It is dense, but I like Doris Goodwin's writing style and there is a lot of detail and information contained in this book on President Roosevelt, his wife, and the home front. Not only does Ms. Goodwin tell the story of the American homefront starting in 1940, but she weaves in a biography of both Eleanor and Franklin at the same time so the reader understands what went on prior to 1940 in their personal lives. By weaving in the biography, readers who are familiar with their backstories won't get bored and readers who are not familiar with it, learn it.

This book is a good addition to the historiography of this time period because not only is it an interesting book, but it is well-researched and gave the reader a great deal of information. The reader really gets a sense of what the home front was like and what FDR did (or didn't do) to prepare the US.

I definitely recommend this to anyone interested in this time period, WWII, or FDR.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Ordinary Time.