Donna's Reviews > Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating with More Than 75 Recipes

Food Matters by Mark Bittman

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: unfinished

I've heard interviews with Mark Bittman, talking about his book Food Matters. Although the thesis is fascinating and important, this is not a book I would have had time to read in its entirety right now, so I was grateful for the opportunity to download a Kindle sample--which, as usual, was generous enough to provide a real sense of what the book was about.

Basically, as any thoughtful consumer should probably know by now, the world food industry as it has evolved, with its ever-increasing reliance on meat, is horrific for the environment (not to mention billions animals raised under unimaginably horrific conditions). Bittman does not focus on solving the entire problem for the planet, nor does he advocate a radical change of lifestyle for those who care. He merely points out that less meat consumption--even a few more meatless meals a week--can be a personal choice that is healthy for all concerned.

Thus last night, I was spared the trouble and expense of running down to the local grocery store and get a small, hermetically-sealed package of ham to add to the split peas I was cooking for dinner. And the soup came out just fine!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Food Matters.