Jane Stewart's Reviews > When Beauty Tamed the Beast

When Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa James

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: regency-romance, 4-plus-star-historical-romance
Read in April, 2012

4 ½ stars. Entertaining. Enjoyable. Engaging.

This reminds me of Georgette Heyer books. The dialogue was wonderful. There was a lot of it. I was pleased listening to the conversations throughout the book. It reminded me of what many books lack. I was pleased that I was surprised at times. And, this has relationship development. We get to know them through their interactions over time.

Piers was sardonic, sarcastic, and rude to everyone. He had a bad temper. The narrator Susan Duerden did a wonderful interpretation of Piers which might make the audiobook better than the book. I liked hearing him through her.

The beginning was funny with Linnet’s father and aunt assuming she was pregnant, even though Linnet kept insisting she was not. This is a good example of inaccurate assumptions (IA) being funny and well done. Normally I don’t like IA causing a fight or separation between two characters - with each of them believing inaccurate things about the other. But this was different because Linnet was honest and clear, they just wouldn’t listen.

DATA:
Unabridged audiobook reading time: 9 hrs and 20 mins. Swearing language: mild. Sexual language: mild, as I recall. Number of sex scenes: 4. Setting: early 1800s England and Wales. Copyright: 2011. Genre: regency romance.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Beauty Tamed the Beast.