David Sven's Reviews > The Crypt Book 01: The Crew

The Crypt Book 01 by Scott Sigler

Jul 23, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi, audiobooks
Read from May 14 to June 06, 2012

Not bad. I was a little disappointed that we never actually got to get on board "The Crypt" and that there was no central plot whatsoever. The whole book is basically a series of short stories introducing a large array of characters who for one reason or another earn themselves a two year military stint on the space vessel The PUV Keeling - ie "The Crypt." So named because it has an 80% mortality rate and not all from combat missions. As such, The Crypt is typically crewed by deserters and criminals and the like who have "volunteered" as a means of opting out of the death penalty ie death by "venting."

I suppose if you view the book as a compendium of short stories and just enjoy them individually they are pretty good ranging from space battles with marines boarding enemy vessels to stealth missions in space as well as planetside and there's also a pretty sweet zombie story to boot. These stories also serve as world building and introduces us to the various political factions in the crypt universe.

My favourite and the longest story was "The Washington DC" - a stealth craft stalking an enemy research vessel using "biological systems" of detection to avoid giving off heat and electronic signatures. On this ship disembodied "brains" make up a "group mind" that serves as the ships AI.

The vast cast promises an expansive story in subsequent books and I would so hope Sigler delivers. The next book when it comes out supposedly sees us on board the Keeling with our current crew's first mission so that sounds promising. I gave this 3 stars which I may revise up depending on where the story goes in the next book.

I should also point out there is an excessive amount of swearing which is apparently a marines first language - so that may be off putting to some.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crypt Book 01.

05/29/2012 page 15
06/03/2012 page 18
82.0% "This book is all world building and character introduction. There is no central plot but rather a compendium of short stories as we are given a large cast of potential crew members for the Crypt. The sheer volume of characters leaves us with the promise that the series will quite expansive/epic so Scott Sigler - you better deliver. As Short stories go these are very good actually."