Elizabeth McDonald's Reviews > First Among Sequels

First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

Aug 29, 08

bookshelves: mysteries, british, series
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Carolyn!
Recommended for: Thursday Next fans
Read in August, 2008

Jasper Fforde once again really, really impresses me. He manages to weave together more plot threads than I can count, while managing to keep all of them visible enough that the reader can follow what's going on. (He once said about one of his other books that "you could say that [it] consists only of subplots".)

I was excited to come across a new Thursday Next book, because the fourth one tied up almost all the loose ends. After reading Fforde's website, I find that he plans to group the TN books in fours, with arcs taking four books to complete. Think along the lines of Star Wars, with its sets of three episodes. And, without spoiling anything, the ending of THIS book certainly left ends loose, and now I need to wait until 2009 for the next quarter!

I won't say too much else about the plot, other than that it takes place some fourteen years after Something Rotten and that if you enjoyed the first four books in the series then you will enjoy this one, too - it has more of the same good stuff, with plenty of new stuff to keep it from being just another in a series.

If you have not read the other Thursday Next books, I suggest you start at the beginning with The Eyre Affair, because this is a series best read in order.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Among Sequels.