Teresa Mary Rose's Reviews > Opal

Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Jul 19, 14

bookshelves: ya, favorites, re-readable-books, paranormal, these-books-own-me, cover-love, jla, 2012
Read from December 07 to 09, 2012

More Reviews Here: Readers Live A Thousand Lives

There is a reason the Lux Series is my favorite series, and it is because each book just gets better and better. The plot continues to expand and you just never know who to trust. Jennifer L. Armentrout has created a world that it is so easy to get lost in. I tried to savor this book and make it last, but I just couldn’t. I devoured it and the other book I was reading was immediately put on hold.

Our main gal Katy is such a great heroine. I love her attitude, personality, snark, and her strength. Also, we cannot forget that she is a book nerd and I really do love that she is a blogger. I know some people don’t like this, but I personally love it. My favorite thing about Katy is that it is always clear why she makes the choices she makes. I never have that moment where I’m ready to smack the heroine because she is making a clearly dumb decision. Even if I don’t agree with the decision, I always understand where she is coming from.

Daemon Black is my all-time favorite book boyfriend. I absolutely love his infuriating personality. If you thought you loved Daemon after Onyx, well just wait, he somehow got even better in Opal which just proves that miracles do happen. There were so many moments where I just wanted to melt into a puddle of goo. My heart, on numerous occasions, melted into that stuff inside gushers. I really enjoyed getting to see Daemon’s sweet and romantic side. However, his egotistical and sarcastic personality was still there. I really liked that he was still his jerk-face self most of the time.

Opal was great because we finally get to see Daemon and Katy together as a couple. I enjoyed watching Daemon chase Katy in Onyx, but I absolutely adored watching them as a couple in Opal. They really are stronger together and luckily the angst between the two is limited in a pretty much nonexistent way. The two of them have some incredibly sweet moments that I just don’t have words for. However, they still argue a lot because they are Daemon and Katy and that is what they do. I really loved that they still argued because it is their “thing.” It would not have made sense for them to all of a sudden get along all the time simply because they are a couple.

Moving on to Dee. I really missed the old Dee with her vivacious lively personality in this book. Actually, I was very upset with her for a lot of the book. I understand that she is grieving and my heart breaks for her, but I disagreed with her blaming Katy for it. Maybe I just get defensive when it comes to Katy, but I felt like she was putting blame in the wrong place, because in the end it was her and Adam's choice to go into that house. Yes, other events led to that moment and maybe it wouldn’t have been necessary to go in had Katy acted differently, but the last and final choice was on them. Part of me felt as if Dee was trying to ignore this fact and not blame herself.

So can you tell I loved this book? Opal was just an amazing ride from beginning to end. Like I said before, I tried to make this book last, but I couldn’t. Once I started reading, I simply could not stop. I needed to know what was going to happen! And – oh my – there are just so many twists and turns along the way. It is so hard to know who to trust and there is just so much that could go wrong. I honestly didn’t see any of the events coming. Not because they were particularly hard to guess, because looking back I’m all “damn I should have seem that coming”, but because as I was reading I was so absorbed in the story that I just didn’t have time to speculate. I didn’t want to pause long enough to try and guess the outcome. Then you get to then ending and you feel as if your heart has been ripped out of your chest, stomped on, put through a grinder, gnawed on by a zombie, and then stuffed back in your chest. I mean this in a good way of course. The ending is so emotional and it leaves you breathless and desperate for more pages. It is an evil evil cliffhanger. If you thought Deity was bad, well then HAHAHAHA.

All in all, Opal is a great addition to my favorite series. I have still yet to be disappointed by any JLA book.
12 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Opal.

Quotes Teresa Mary Rose Liked

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Kitten..." "Don't Kitten me." I scowled, on a roll now. "You left around five or so and didn't get back till when? Past two in the morning? What were you guys doing? And get that stupid smile off your face. This isn't funny." Daemon tried to get rid of the smile but failed. "I love when your claws come out.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“You haven't been smiling much. I missed it, so I decided to reward you for doing it." "Reward me?" I laughed. "God, only you would think kissing someone is a reward." "You know it is. My lips change lives, baby.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“His eyes searched mine. "Thank you."

"For What?" I loved the feel of his arms around me and how I fit against him, hard against soft. He trailed his fingers over my arm, and I was amazed by how he could make me shiver.

"For everything," he said.”

“You're amazing."

"I know it didn't take you this long to realize that."

"No. I've always known it." I watched him root around for another strawberry. "Maybe not in the beginning..."

He peeked up. "My awesomeness is all about the stealth.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“There was a pause, then his lips stretched into a smile. "You're right."
Hell froze over. Pigs were flying. "Come again?"
"You're right. I should have checked in at some point. I'm sorry."
The world was flat. I didn't know what to say. According to Daemon, he was right about 99 percent of the time. Wow.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“A slow, wry smile teased Daemon’s lips. "Simmer down, Kitten, before I have to get you a ball of yarn to play with."

Annoyance flared deep inside me. "Don’t start with me, jerk-face.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“He was such an asshole, and I loved him.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“I love you, Katy. Always have. Always will.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“A few seconds after he stepped out into the hallway and closed the door behind him, there was a fleshly smack and then Andrew yelling, “Ouch. What in the hell was that for?” “Your timing sucks on an epic level,” Daemon shot back.”

Jennifer L. Armentrout
“Infuriated, I scrambled over him, even more furious when I saw the humored glint in his eyes. "God you tick me off."

"Well at least I got you--"

"Don't even finish that statement!”

12/08/2012
100.0% "Umm. Wow. That was awesome."

Haraiah Eve Currently reading this now. Almost halfway through and it's so good! I wanted to finish this in one sitting but, you know, SCHOOL. :(

Teresa Mary Rose Ohhh I know. I spent my weekend with this book haha. Just wait for that ending.

Haraiah Eve Ohmygosh.. This is killing me. LOL! I'm going to finish this later after I'm done with the school stuff. Eeeepp!!

Teresa Mary Rose Do it! It is just so good. I wanna re read it already.

Haraiah Eve Oh GOD. Please tell me the world isn't ending! After I read Opal I was like, 'THERE BETTER BE A DUAL POV!' And thank the heavens it seems like it. If it isn't, I'm going to die.

Teresa Mary Rose Haha there is a dual POV for the next books! I don't know how I will survive that wait after that ending. I still can't stop thinking about it!