Kristi Bernard's Reviews > Jo MacDonald Had a Garden

Jo MacDonald Had a Garden by Mary Quattlebaum

Apr 17, 12

Planting a garden can provide food for people and animals. Birds, insects and other creatures can settle down in a safe Eco-friendly environment that children can be proud of. Children will also love watching their newly planted garden sprout to life. Children can read along and sing a song to the tune of “Old McDonald Had A Farm” with Jo, the granddaughter of Old McDonald, and her friend. Young readers and parents too, will clap their hands and tap their toes while watching the progress of the garden appear from one page to the next. Jo and her friend plant radishes, lettuce, sunflowers and summer squash. They water and till the soil and watch their garden grow and grow. “And in that garden flew a bird, E-I-E-I-O. With a flit-flit here and a flit-flit there, here a flit, there a flit, everywhere a flit-flit. Jo MacDonald had a garden, E-I-E-I-O.” Quattlebaum has created a fun way to teach children about gardening. Soft pastel illustrations truly invite young readers along to plant, sing and learn about gardens. The back of the book offers information about community gardening. Kids will learn how earthworms are a gardener's best friend or how toads eat pesky insects that can harm the plants. Also included are indoor activities, how to be a beginning gardener and website resources that will help readers choose and cultivate the most suitable seeds and plants.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jo MacDonald Had a Garden.