Ladiibbug's Reviews > To Taste Temptation

Nov 07, 2008

liked it
Read in November, 2008

#1 Legend of the Four Soldiers series

This was an okay read for me. I must admit it did not captivate and excite me like EH's Prince trilogy books.

I liked that our hero, Samuel Hartley is not English, but an American colonial visiting England. I liked also the time period difference from most historical romances I've been reading -- this is set in 1764, the pre-American Revolution period. I was not/am not familiar with the war the book talks about - the Colonialists & English fighting the French in Quebec?! Must look for North American History for Dummies!

Samuel's upbringing in the wilds of Pennsylvania and life as a merchant in Boston was a refreshing change from the "wealthy bad boy rake" hero in most historical romances.

Samuel's post-war nightmares and flashbacks sound like PTSD. Several of the current day romantic suspense books I've been reading have the hero battling this demon as well. That, added to real life news reports of our soldiers suffering from PTSD, reinforced in my mind the horrors of war, and I found myself thinking of this depressing and harsh fact while I read. That's not to say that it should have been left out of the book, or not explored. I don't remember most fictional books I've read featuring soldiers be realistic about war's psychological trauma on people.

I wish I could say this was more enjoyable ... it was okay. I knew all along that Lady Emeline in the end would fall for Samuel - no surprise there.

Elizabeth Hoyt will still be a "must read" author for me, along with her aka Julia Harper (romantic suspense).
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Taste Temptation.

11/02/2008 page 1
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Eastofoz (last edited Nov 02, 2008 10:35AM) (new) - added it

Eastofoz Have you started it yet? Is it like the Prince series?

message 2: by new_user (new)

new_user Let me know what you think of it. I really liked her Prince series.

Ladiibbug Hi East ~

This is #1 in a new 4 book series - I'm enjoying it.

This one's set in London in 1764, which might be too early to count as being a "Regency" romance. I'm not sure which dates = Regency.

Review will follow - should finish in a day or two.

Eliz. Hoyt's "Prince" trilogy so knocked my socks off -- each of the 3 are solid 5 stars imo.