Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Dangerous Pleasures

it was ok
bookshelves: 2008-reads, queuemyreview
Read in September, 2008

Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Aug08

Bertrice Small is another big name in women’s romance. Her earlier books (WAY back in the 80s) were much spicier than the average historical romance and if you wanted a steamier read, then you knew Ms Small would deliver. Finally in 2005 she published her first erotic contemporary romance and “Dangerous Pleasures” is the fourth book in her ‘Pleasures’ series. This series is definitively erotica as the sex is almost a character itself. If you removed the sex, the story would be quite incomplete, and for me at least, that’s one way to delineate between romance and erotica.

The ‘Pleasure’ stories are about a women only cable TV channel. Via special technology (which actually reads more like magic but is nonetheless, called technology) the channel only works for women. The remote is keyed to their skin and any efforts by children or males to view or use the channel renders the channel inoperable. All a woman needs to do is think her fantasy, hit the remote, and the fantasy becomes a reality. The channel only operates from 8:00pm to 4:00am. It’s probably a good thing this is fiction because I’m guessing not a lot would ever get done at my house if this sucker were real!

The heroine of this book is Annie. She became a widow just two years ago and now is the single parent to 5 children ranging from age four to eighteen. Even with insurance and living frugally, she’s having a hard time getting by with any extra cash going towards treats for her children. She hasn’t had a date or an evening alone in longer than she can remember. Then, like a fairy tale, her sister enters her into a contest and she wins an all expenses trip to the channel’s newest spa. While at the spa, she discovers new urges and a new life she never dreamed of…but what will it cost her?

I have to admit that I didn’t particularly feel any connection with Annie. She went from being TOO sweet and wholesome to TOO cold and sharky. I felt that the majority of the book dealt in extremes and that just didn’t work for me. There’s a whole bunch of sex, but very little emotion or feeling to go with it. While I readily admit that I like reading about sex…I NEED that emotional bond to make it enjoyable for me.

Ms. Small’s sex scenes are myriad and varied and include oral, anal, vaginal sex. Annie has sex with as few as one and as many as ‘I lost count’. There’s also a bit of bondage and a bit of punishment thrown in for good measure  So if you are a fan of books chock full of almost every sex act imaginable (at least in my tiny imagination) without the extra baggage of strong emotion or love included, then this book may be exactly what you’re looking for. As for me, I’ll likely pass on the next one.

Til next time
JJ
9 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dangerous Pleasures.

message 1: by Julianna (new)

Julianna I have to agree, Julie. Without that emotional connection, it just doesn't work for me either. Nice review!

Julie (jjmachshev) But by golly there's a ton o sex
Something for everyone I guess...just not us!

message 3: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee I can always count on a little humor in your reviews, JJ--('at least in my tiny imagination')--LOL!

Julie (jjmachshev) Well, I'm guessing there's probably some stuff EVEN I can't imagine!!
J

message 5: by Eastofoz (last edited Sep 04, 2008 06:59PM) (new)

Eastofoz Julie did you read her book FORBIDDEN PLEASURES? I have that one on TBR---to I have to prepare myself to send this to the cootie shelf???? I'm not a fan of the sex-for-sex story either....

Julie (jjmachshev) I did read that one and I think you'll like it. The 'heroine' in this one was only looking for sex, not a relationship.
J

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Thanks for the info J... wont be adding this one! Actually, I think I have to REMOVE it from my tbr list. Yay!!! lol!

xo
H

message 8: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Phew! Thanks for the huge relief Julie :)

Julie (jjmachshev) But East I'm almost disappointed...I LOVE reading your reviews for 'cootie shelf' books!!

message 10: by Auntee (new) - added it

Auntee Yeah, me too! You're overdue for a 'cootie-shelf-review', East!:D

message 11: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz LOL Julie and Auntee! Thank you but do not wish those nasty books on me--tsk tsk Auntee :p

Carol Storm Just finished this one after picking it up at a library sale -- you really nailed what was wrong with Annie's character!