Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Dark Magic

Sep 08, 2008

bookshelves: queuemyreview, 2008-reads
Read in September, 2008

Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Nov08

What an absolutely stunning conclusion Cheyenne McCray has penned for her ‘Magic’ series. “Dark Magic” is everything I would have wished for and couldn’t have imagined! This series has everything a paranormal fan could want: Dark Elves, Light Elves, witches, familiars, warlocks, gods, goddesses, shape-shifters, demons, warriors, humans, Dryads, Mistwalkers, and monsters. I probably left something or somebody out too! And did I forget to mention the male versions of the previous are mostly drop dead gorgeous, arrogantly Alpha, and just mouth-watering! Oh, and they seem to have a penchant for humans…OK witches, but still. I can always dream.

“Dark Magic” is Cassia’s story. In the last book she was finally revealed as fully Elven. Now we’ll learn if she has the grit to ‘get her man’, especially since her man is the human, Jake. She’s a lot older than she looks and the time has come for her to embrace her destiny. However, the Guardian warns her that having her human would likely kill Jake, upset the balance between the worlds, and destroy Otherworld Earth. No pressure here.

Jake has always been attracted to Cassia, but now that she’s no longer hiding herself, he can’t get her off his mind. When she saves his life and takes him to her world their relationship changes forever. His Marine nickname was Bull and Cassia is about to find out just how bullheaded he can be. As far as Jake is concerned, Cassia is HIS and no force on Earth or beyond will change that. He’s positive that nothing about anyone’s life is written in stone and destiny is what you are willing to fight for. But he’ll have to convince both Cassie and the Guardian to give this human a chance.

I can’t say enough good things about this series. McCray hooked me with “Forbidden Magic” and each book after that “Seduced by Magic”, “Wicked Magic” and “Shadow Magic” just increased my fascination as she detailed more of her intricate world and the plots became deeper and more intertwined. It would be possible to read “Dark Magic” as a stand alone story, but a reader wouldn’t get the breadth and depth of the series without starting at the first book and letting McCray’s universe unfold.

The series has action, romance, suspense, love, betrayal, sacrifice, magic, and sex appeal to the nth degree! Her heroines kick butt and run the gamut from feminine to tomboy and her heroes…well, they’re all 200% grade A male. YUM! Her love scenes left me breathless (and wanting a cigarette) and I’m surprised I have any nails left after the suspense in this last book. I can’t say much because I don’t want to give anything away for those who haven’t read the series (shame on you), but I can say wholeheartedly that if you like paranormal romance, you owe it to yourself to read “Dark Magic” at the very least. I predict you’ll become as big a fan of Cheyenne McCray just like me and a host of others out there if the reader/reviewer boards are at all accurate. Her next series is ‘Armed and Dangerous’ and the first book “Zack” will be released in December 2008. I’m locked and loaded.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Magic.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-3 of 3) </span> <span class="smallText">(3 new)</span>

message 1: by Cheyenne (new) - added it

Cheyenne McCray Thank you, Julie, for the incredibly awesome review!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed DM. :o)

Julie (jjmachshev) Thank you for providing me with so many hours of pure enjoyment!! (and I'm really jumping up and down while pinching myself that you read, liked, and are commenting on my review!)
8-)
J

message 3: by Cheyenne (new) - added it

Cheyenne McCray Hi, Julie!

I'm thrilled with your review and I'm so glad you enjoy my books! :o)

Chey