Julie (jjmachshev)'s Reviews > Servant: The Acceptance

Aug 28, 08

bookshelves: queuemyreview, 2008-reads
Read in August, 2008

Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

If I had ever tried to imagine the kind of book Lori Foster would write if she turned to the ‘dark side’, never in my wildest imagination would I have come up something like her ‘Servant’ series. And now that I’ve read the second book, “Servant: The Acceptance”, I’m struck by several similarities to Foster’s more normal romance novels. But, before I start that, let me say that her ‘Servant’ series is dark, very dark. If you’re looking for sexy, frothy romance—go buy some of her work under Lori Foster. L.L. Foster, on the other hand, can write some seriously good and gritty urban fantasy and the ‘Servant’ series is addictive.

Gaby is a Paladin, a servant of God. She can sense, feel, and see evil differently than anybody she’s ever met. No matter what face evil wears, she sees it as it truly is…and destroys it. When she is ‘called’, she feels excruciating pain until she answers the call; and when she does answer, she is infused with the extra strength, stamina, and skills she needs to defeat the evil. She’s always been alone, but now Detective Cross is dogging her every move and asking too many questions for comfort. How could a fighter for justice like him condone what she sometimes is called to do? But it seems that no matter what Gaby tries, she can’t forget about him and he’s not going away.

Detective Luther Cross has never met a woman as frustrating as Gaby. The more he learns about her abilities, the more fascinated he becomes. And the more time they spend together, the more trouble he has forgetting about her sexual innocence when faced with her honest curiosity. Once again Gaby is mixed up in one of his cases. Someone is torturing, mutilating, and killing prostitutes; and Gaby, who has appointed herself as the ‘girls’ protector, always seems to know that little bit too much for comfort. How far can Luther stretch his beliefs?

Now, since Lori Foster writes sexy romances with HEAs, and the book I just described is clearly no romance and probably doesn’t have a HEA…why do I say there are similarities? It’s like this…Foster’s writing (in either guise) is closer to reality than most other authors. Her romances usually involve regular people in situations that mimic real life and the obstacles they face are those that we regular folk deal with every day. In this series, I think that’s one of the things I find so fascinating. IF someone WAS born with the ability to sense evil, and would feel pain when in proximity to evil, then what would that person’s life be like? Can you imagine being a small child, unable to explain what was wrong, when you were ‘scared of’ certain people and began screaming? Or suffered pain without knowing why and trying to explain that to a doctor? How long do you think it would take for you to be labeled a ‘troubled’ or ‘imaginative’ or ‘insane’ child? What would life have been like as a teenager? How would you make a living? How in the heck could you ever try to explain to anyone? How would this affect your relationships, or even your ability to HAVE a relationship? If you want the answers to these questions, go get the first two books of this series. THAT is what draws me in so deeply to this series. The first book, “The Awakening”, just set the stage and introduced the main characters. Now with “The Acceptance” Foster gives us the chance to go deeper and further into her world. I’m enjoying the trip so very, very much!

Til next time
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Servant.

message 1: by Blackbook (new) - added it

Blackbook Wow, what a good review. Stop. Enough for one day. You made this series sound so good.

message 2: by Collette (new)

Collette Yeah you did! I'm a huge Foster fan and have #1 in my tbr pile. I saw this one today but figured since were mixed feelings on this one and her "darkness" that I better read it first before getting #2.
Great review!

Julie (jjmachshev) Read the first one and see if you like it. It's a 180 from her normal stuff. But I like urban fantasy too and this one just grabs me.
J

message 4: by Collette (new)

Collette I love urban fantasy too like C.E. Murphy. Great stuff! I will try to look at L.L Foster as a different author and not expect romance.

message 5: by Blackbook (new) - added it

Blackbook I didn't know you liked C.E. I have Hands of Flame but JJ keeps writing these damn reviews and now it's in the middle of my pile. I really like her.

message 6: by Collette (new)

Collette Yup! I have the three books in the Walker papers and Heart of Stone. I have also read Winter Moon with her story.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori Foster I'm incredibly flattered and smiling real big.
Thank you!

L.L.

message 8: by Collette (new)

Collette Hey Lori! Great to see you. You have many fans around here.

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori Foster Thanks Collette.
I'm still learning Goodreads. I've figured out how to approve friends, but that's about it.
:-)
A friend sent me a link to the reviews - and I'm glad she did. This is still a very new series for me, and it's almost like being a newbie writer all over again.
Every happy reader is gold to me!

L.L.

Julie (jjmachshev) Lori,
OMG! OMG! I'm going to figure out how to save a copy of this string of posts. I have been a fan of your writing since your Harlequin days and I'm pretty sure I have a copy of every book you've published! I'm enjoying the Servant series and can't wait for "My Man Michael" too!

Thanks for kind words on my review. Any secret info on a title/release date for the next Servant book?
JJ

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori Foster :-) Thanks JJ. See, I felt the same about the saving the string of comments, because they were so nice. LOL

The next Servant will be Servant: The Kindred, out in Sept 09 - sorry for the long wait! My intent is to have one single title romance, and one single title urban fantasy/horror a year, with some novellas in both genres thrown in.
In the next Servant, Gaby meets up with her father, and yeah, it's intense, but not as intense as what's going on between her and Luther. ;-)

Thank you again!

message 12: by Blackbook (new) - added it

Blackbook WOWIE! You never know who is reading. Wowie two times.

B.

Julie (jjmachshev) BB,
I know, I know...I think I'm hyperventilating

message 14: by Ragus (last edited Aug 31, 2008 12:08PM) (new) - added it

Ragus Julie - SUPER GREAT review!!! Let me tell you why. I have never read Lori's work. I was stuck in a reading rut that involved a VERY limited number of authors for several years. I knew Lori Foster's books were routinely recommended, but, I did not get to her before I burned out on contemp and MOST historical romance. I am now a PNR/URBAN FANTASY girl with some other stuff thrown in on the side! ;o) Your manner of explaining what the book IS and IS NOT, as well as the character basics and theme, triggered a DING, DING, DING that said I MUST read L. L. Foster, and I'm adding her to my buy list!

Thanks, Ragus.

Julie (jjmachshev) Ragus
What a fabulous compliment!! Let me know what you think when you read it...
J

message 16: by Lori (new)

Lori Foster :-D
I really hope you enjoy the stories, Ragus.

And Julie, I need to put you on the payroll! LOL Thank you again for writing such an inspiring review.

L.L. Foster

Julie (jjmachshev) All right you two...no pressure!!!!
J

message 18: by Lori (new)

Lori Foster J, seriously, no pressure from me at all. I'm sure there are plenty of people who don't like this series, and that's A-okay. We all have our preferences. ;-) If it doesn't work for you, no problem.

I'm currently working on a special anthology titled "Out of the Light and Into the Shadows." Yeah, long title. Erin McCarthy and I will be in writing two different genre novellas each. The idea is to write a straight romance, and then have it relate to an urban fantasy in some way. So I'll have a novella as Lori Foster, and then one as L.L. Foster. Same with Erin.

Anyhoo... I better get to it. I get up early so it's quiet and I can catch up on my web messages and then write while the house isn't too busy.
Happy Monday all!

Lori

message 19: by Collette (new)

Collette Lori,
That anthology sounds wonderful!! I have a ton of books from both you and Erin and haven't read a bad book yet from either of you so I'll be in heaven when it comes out. It sounds like a great idea since both of you are expanding in different directions from your main romances.

It really is fun having you around here.

Collette

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Foster :-D Thanks Collette. I'm enjoying being here!

I've already written my "romance" story and now to get to work on the "urban fantasy" one.
It'll be fun tying them together.

Lori

Julie (jjmachshev) YAY! I'm excited about the anthology. Will it make it to print in 09?
JJ

message 22: by Lori (new)

Lori Foster Yup. It's scheduled for Oct 09.
No cover yet, but I hope to see something soon. When I do, I'll add it to my websites.

Thanks!

Lori

Alexis Lori, I think you could grow a huge following to your servant books if you wrote more....or introduced a new kick-ass female heroine series. I've read so many books trying to find a good story like this one. If you made a series that was a mix of your Gaby Cody, Laurell Hamiltons original Anita Blake (before her series changed into a total train wreck), and the main character of Nalini Singhs Guild Hunter series, I bet you would sell tons of copies!!! :)