Frank Parsons's Reviews > Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories

Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Sto... by Kelly Link

Apr 17, 12

bookshelves: general-fiction, sci-fi
Read in April, 2012

Here is a range of stories that go from ok to very enjoyable. Anthologies in general tend to be hit-or-miss but this one hits almost every time. There are some stories that I think would push the boundaries of the definition of "steampunk" but in this case I think that's a strength, not a weakness. Kelly Link has chosen a nice selection of stories that cover a myriad of topics, tropes, and timelines and even the "just ok" stories were still enjoyable. I really enjoyed the fact the story settings range from a weird west style colonized planet, to a house co-located in a magical/fantastical/fairy place and then ends with a mechanized ancient Rome (Carthago delenda est!) with a myriad of other place settings added in. If it is your opinion that steampunk can be more than brass goggles and turbo-powered dirigibles then my recommendation is to check this anthology out.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Steampunk! An Anthology of Fantastically Rich and Strange Stories.