* Sara Johns*'s Reviews > The Sweet Gum Tree

The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred

Apr 21, 12

bookshelves: all-time-favs, featured
Read in August, 2012

This is the kind of book that makes me not want to read ever again... in a good way... the kind of book that you need a few days before you read something else because you know the next book can't live up to this one. This was an amazingly beautiful story about falling in love, heartache, forgiveness and second chances.

Alix is a small town girl from a respectible family and Nick is the town drunk and salvage yard owner's son. In effort to save him from the abusive life he's always known 8 year old Alix befriends 10 year old Nick. Soon Alix's family is on board taking Nick in and treating him as one of their own. The book continues through thier lives as these two grow and form a powerful friendship and love. In their late teens a tragedy occurs that forces Nick to leave. The second part of the book occurs 15 years later and brings with it the answers to all the secrets as to why he had to leave in the first place. The author gives enough hints about several different situations for the reader to figure out early what has happened/is happening however due to Alix's grief she is unable to put the pieces together. The writing in this book is so good and I really felt the emotions of Alix and even though I loooooved Nick there were times when Alix's anger/grief got the best of her and I knew she was wrong yet I still felt she was justified in her behavior lol. This story and the characters are sure to stay with you long after you've read the last page.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Gum Tree.