Mandy's Reviews > Where Things Come Back

Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: reviewed
Read from April 17 to 18, 2012

I'd really give this book a 4.5.

I'm genuinely not sure how I feel about this book. It's compelling and interesting and it has a lot going on, but the ending was such a letdown and at times, you just can't see the point of it all.

Where Things Come Back is a story told from the perspective of Cullen Witter, a boy from Lily, Arkansas whose brother goes missing. Meanwhile, a birdwatcher in town has claimed to have seen the extinct Lazarus Woodpecker, causing the town to go so crazy with the discovery that a boy's disappearance is all but forgotten.

I really liked the characters in this book just because they seemed so genuine and funny. Cullen's narration is deep and honest and true to how other characters describe him throughout the book-- analytical and over-thinking.

Meanwhile, every other chapter includes the story of a seemingly entirely unrelated Christian boy on a Missions trip. One of the most amazing things about this book is the way everyone and everything eventually fits together.

On the other hand, two female characters in the book, Alma and Ada, had names so similar that I was really confused for a couple chapters. Cabot Searcy's character in particular seemed a little unbelievable to me. There's a certain point in the novel, before all is explained, that you can readily guess what happened, and the explanation is a little disappointing.

Overall, except for the end, this really was an awesome book. It's thoughtful and well-written and interesting. Simon and Schuster seriously never fails to impress me with their young adult fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Things Come Back.