Conrad's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 8: Wolves

Fables, Vol. 8 by Bill Willingham

31945
Aug 28, 08

liked it

I had to downgrade this one for its utterly boneheaded politics, and also its overly pat ending, even though it was in some ways pretty moving.

Things Bill Willingham does well: knowing when to leave well enough alone, Bigby's dialogue, coming up with unexpected ways for his characters to interact. I really like how he drops certain plotlines and picks them up later - he doesn't really force it most of the time. The scope of the book feels natural and well-earned.

Things Bill Willingham does not do well: understand Middle Eastern politics (I find him quite racist in spots), maintain continuity (paging Boy Blue), track character chronology (Bigby and Snow's children are talking at two weeks old or so, but Snow and Bigby don't age at all?!). Bill Willingham is welcome to his opinion on the Arab-Israeli conflict, but when he gets on a soapbox about it in the pages of Fables, whether it's by using undigested Arab stereotypes or by having a number of characters declaim their unalloyed admiration of the Israeli state out of absolutely nowhere, it just makes him look like a preachy rube.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 8.

message 1: by Aaa (new)

Aaa I think this is a spot on critique of the whole middle eastern issue which he has forced upon his readers. It should be brought more to light.