Melody's Reviews > Wait for Me!

Wait for Me! by Deborah Mitford

Apr 17, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: heard, memoir
Read in April, 2012

I suspect that this is precisely the wrong place to start with the Mitfords. I was thrown willy-nilly into a confusing jumble of nicknames (each person has several), titles and anecdotes. I retire bloody and beaten.

Mitford aficionados, I'm open for advice.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wait for Me!.

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily The best place to start is Nancy's novel, The Pursuit of Love. If you don't like that, then you needn't bother with any of the memoirs, letters, etc.

Melody Thanks!

Petar X My favourite Mitford book is The American Way of Death which explains all about the family and is hilarious and in my opinion the best one to start with as you would then know who everyone was and who was slightly insane, completely insane and way beyond the pall of what we consider decency (Unity killed her self over her love for Hitler). Jessica became American and wrote the also very funny U or Non-U and The American Way of Death . Nancy wrote great light fiction.

Melody I did read The American Way of Death and don't remember anything at all about the family in it. I also read The American Way of Birth, which I don't recall being about the Mitfords either.

Petar X Neither of them were, but they are the best of the Mitford writing I think, well maybe Nancy's is just as good in a different way. I got the wrong title in the first link because I added it afterwards and that means it was at the end and so I copied the second one twice. Does that make sense? I meant to link to Hons and Rebels

Melody Oh, that makes more sense. Thanks, I will add it to my pile!