Liz (Liz'sBookBuffet)'s Reviews > Lily Marin - three short steampunk stories

Lily Marin - three short steampunk stories by Paul Kater

Apr 24, 12

bookshelves: ebook, science-fiction
Read in April, 2012

This collection took me a whopping two hours to read.

The only reviews I read before picking this up myself (a Kindle freebee, by the way) ranted about how the only good thing about it was the fact that it was a Kindle freebee. Something about the cover art (Kindle Edition) was stolen and how everyone was so outraged by that that they really didn't comment or review the stories at all. So, of course, because it received so many bad reviews, and was free, I wanted to read it that much more. And so I did.

Three short (short, short, short) stories about Lily Marin, a heroin of the steampunk genre. The stories were poorly written, no characterization, inventions a bit over the top (even for steampunk) and lacked plot development. Sure, I know, they're short stories, but those even have a beginning, middle and end that flow and tie together. Not these.

The stories start out with Lily dreaming of her singing career and her lack of self confidence (continually belittling her ability) but then puts on some crazy outfit with wild contraptions and becomes "The Masked Woman" and suddenly has all the confidence in the world to fight all the bad guys. I hate stories where women have to have, own or wear something in particular to feel powerful. I disliked this about Lily. The last story was the only one that was mildly interesting.

So, if I hated it that much, why two stars and not one? Well, I was able to finish the entire collection, if that says much. Perhaps it was the shortness of the collection that allowed me to finish it. It wasn't so long that I had to just give up. I don't do that with books very often (they have to be pretty awful for me to give up). Therefore, because I didn't give up, I have to go with two stars and not just one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lily Marin - three short steampunk stories.