Wendy's Reviews > Evergreen

Evergreen by Belva Plain

May 03, 12

bookshelves: unfinished
Read from April 09 to 23, 2012

I recall reading this book as a young teenager and I distinctly remember being captivated by it. Fast forward a few years (ahem...decades) and I'm having a hard time seeing just what was so captivating about this story. I got about 1/2 or 2/3 through before this one landed in the "life's too short" category and I moved on to more interesting selections on my to-read list.

I'm usually a real sucker for multigenerational sagas and Evergreen has a great, if slightly overdone, premise (of course, this was written quite a while ago, so the story line might have been a bit fresher then). It's a rags-to-riches story of young immigrants from war-torn eastern Europe who come to America. In essence, I had two major problems with Evergreen that led me to abandon the book. I never really connected with any of the characters, except maybe for the main character's daughter. Worse, it felt like just a rambling diary entry-like dry retelling of "this happened and then that happened". While there was some interpersonal conflict, the overall story really had none, making it all to easy to put down, which I ultimately did.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evergreen.

01/01 marked as: gave-up