Kevin's Reviews > The Art of Fielding

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

May 03, 2012

Read from April 24 to May 03, 2012

I really enjoyed this book. It is the sort of modern book that can't help but be compared to Franzen, which isn't a bad thing. This book has a charm all its own, though. A big part of that charm is baseball. I see reviews saying you have to or don't have to like baseball to like this book. I like baseball a lot, so it is hard for me to think of it any other way, and I will say that it beautifully describes the game and baseball truly enriches the book. Other books also play a large part in this book, and while that didn't work as well for me (sometimes it seemed like he was reaching a bit) it didn't bother me much. In the end, this book was one that I really couldn't stop reading - well, listening to - and I enjoyed pretty much every minute. When a book can be this entertaining and still have some beautifully written passages that you can mull over and gain insight from, that is something special.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Fielding.

Quotes Kevin Liked

Chad Harbach
“The Human Condition being, basically, that we’re alive and have access to beauty, can even erratically create it, but will someday be dead and will not.”
Chad Harbach, The Art of Fielding

Chad Harbach
“So much of one's life was spent reading; it made sense not to do it alone.”
Chad Harbach, The Art of Fielding